the lords prayer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james coleman

Established Member
Reaction score
hi all,
new too the group,
i am looking for this pattern ,if anyone can help,i believe it was published by hobbies of dereham ,norfolk,
i have spent the whole day searching,but no joy,i had the pattern years ago,and here is a picture of the piece i made then,i had no scrollsaw,only a hand fretsaw,but since then i have moved on too a hegener saw,.
unfortunatly i dont have the pattern anymore,and i wish too make this piece again,i have searched everywhere for it,please help

Attachments

• 302330_291238827566961_1236548642_n.jpg
    302330_291238827566961_1236548642_n.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 3,072
Hi James.

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry I can’t help with the pattern you require, but this post will help to keep your thread to the top of the listings. :wink:

I am sure somebody will come in with help, as this is a very active and helpful forum.

Take care.

Chris R.

Hi James a very warm welcome to a great site,with some very nice Gals and Guys in attendance.I must say that you made a very good job in cutting something like that by hand,and must have taken you quite some time.There was a post by Steve on the other day,they looked like old fretwork patterns from Hobbies in the early days,they were green like the old patterns.I have the pattern of a old fort in the same colour.It would be nice if you are lucky enough to find it.Look lower down on this page ( a pattern link ) by Steve.

Bryan

I may have this pattern but it will take me a while to search through thousands of patterns. I really must spend some time putting them into different folders. If and when I find it I will PM you. A brilliant piece of work by the way, especially by hand.

I did a bit of searching for the pattern without success. I found another Lord's Prayer that someone had cut 24 times. If a copy of the same pattern was used every time, 'temptation' was spelled without a 'p' a lot of times. :)

This pattern was created not by Hobbies but by a company founded by two ex employees of Hobbies called Handicrafts, the design first appeared in Handicrafts fretwork magazine in August 1919, ( Vol 15 No 269) there were two versions and this one was the biggest and finest, it measured 32" x 23" The design was certainly still available from Handicrafts in 1931, the price of the pattern in 1931 was 1/- (5pence today) There are a few of these panels about as in it's time it held the record for the greatest number of exhibition awards.

My late grandfather was brilliant at fretwork and actually taught local lads the art of fretwork and supplied them with fretwork tools and stuff that he bought wholesale from Hobbies.

He actually made one of these and it was hanging in his bungalow and as a young man I always admired his workmanship, when he died in 1965 the Lord's Prayer panel disappeared I have a feeling his live in carer had it but I would have loved it myself.

It has always been my ambition to make one although it is so intricate I am not sure I would live long enough to complete it!

A few years ago I bought a box of tatty designs off ebay and to my joy this pattern was among them however the paper had deteriorated so much it is in many pieces and very fragile so is not usable ATM, I have considered trying to glue it onto some backing paper but not sure if it would work.

Just an idea,
Could you not take a hi res photo, enlarge it and then photocopy it up to a size that you could use ?

HI ALL
been watching in the wings for a while ever since I spotted martins Lambretta that I made the pattern for, but thought I should jump in on this one.
Not sure if you can do anything with these they are a pattern made from the picture you posted, its a little distorted due to the angle of the picture.
If I can help any more just shout up

Attachments

• PRAY4.JPG
    PRAY4.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 2,919
  • PRAY PAT.JPG
    PRAY PAT.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 2,919
thanks for all yere replies people,i do have some of the pattern,but unfortunatly after a lot of use ,the lines have become distorted and are not as crisp as i would like,all i have ,was drawn on a sheet of paper and need redoing,i am missing the patterns for the frame,and all the overlays,geoff if you ever do come across it,i do hope you give us a buzz,thanks again all.

well,ive spent a few more hours trawling through ebay and google and still no joy,
looks like this is going too be harder than i thaught.

In this page taken from a 1931 Handicrafts magazine this lady says she has made 5 Lords prayer plaques and is now making her 6th and 7th!

People had a lot more time on their hands then also it's nice to see a lady fretworker!

Attachments

• lords prayer (Medium).jpg
    lords prayer (Medium).jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 2,860
the woman is holding a hand fretsaw exactlt like the one i used when i made mine,also have you noticed the age written under the bottom left piece,interesting article..

dt-crafts":20zf14le said:
HI ALL
been watching in the wings for a while ever since I spotted martins Lambretta that I made the pattern for, but thought I should jump in on this one.
Not sure if you can do anything with these they are a pattern made from the picture you posted, its a little distorted due to the angle of the picture.
If I can help any more just shout up

Hi Dave, welcome to the forum. My sister said the Lambretta was well liked when she gave it to her friend.

i know the one,the person who cut it used the picture of my one and developed the drawing from it,,looks good but not what im looking for .

james coleman":113r6rkw said:
i know the one,the person who cut it used the picture of my one and developed the drawing from it,,looks good but not what im looking for .

Not sure if you read my first post in this thread? I do have this plan although it is in poor condition, however if you have some parts of the plan I may be able to scan some parts that may be missing.

Because the plan is in poor condition I avoid looking at it as each time it falls apart more (the paper is sort of brittle), what I have been hoping to do when time allows is to copy the various bits of the plan and try to reassemble them.

I will try to find the plan later and if possible post a sample scan.

scrimper":1j6llb6x said:
This pattern was created not by Hobbies but by a company founded by two ex employees of Hobbies called Handicrafts, the design first appeared in Handicrafts fretwork magazine in August 1919, ( Vol 15 No 269) there were two versions and this one was the biggest and finest, it measured 32" x 23" The design was certainly still available from Handicrafts in 1931, the price of the pattern in 1931 was 1/- (5pence today) There are a few of these panels about as in it's time it held the record for the greatest number of exhibition awards.

The example at Debenham Church is captioned "Made by the late E.A. Read, 1911, Presented by his wife Lily".

Are you sure that 1919 date was the earliest appearance?

BugBear

Back