The James Krenov Smoother – under review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent review, Derek!
I'm very pleased with mine - it always surprises with it's performance. And people just love to pick it up - there's so much to "find" :D
Cheers
Philly :D

A thoughtful review, Derek - like you said, it's good to put things into perspective every now and then....

I remember some responses to Philly's review of his new Krenov plane - some folks seemed to have confused form and function :)

Regards,

Denis

Yeah, I used Phily's krenov last weekend and it is just outstanding in its use and form (fits like a glove) - just looks poorly finished.

Like his books, through these planes and the people that use them, Mr Krenov's spirit and enthusiasm really shines through. If anyone wonders what all the fuss is about - please take the time to read his books, to get the full effect, take a deck chair, go and sit outside with a cool glass of beer and be inspired by his unique outlook - it certainly worked for me and my work/idea's have benefited ever since.

Good review Derek - very respectful and a nice tribute with the table, lovely design!

The one I have is also typical of JK's style of smoother tho' the wedge is made from a different timber. I haven't yet used mine as it still has a lot of Jim's marking out details on the sides and even better has been signed at the front so any use will damage these marks :cry: so it takes pride of place on the 'Tool Wall' - Rob

ByronBlack":1jiu6vbk said:
Mr Krenov's spirit and enthusiasm really shines through. If anyone wonders what all the fuss is about - please take the time to read his books, to get the full effect....

Unfortunately Byron, I find Mr. Krenov's writings come across as directionless twittering. Reading a whole page of any any of his books gives me the urge to slam it shut and throw it away as far as possible, preferably into a fire.

I have no idea why the man who seems to inspire so many others simply irritates the pants off me. Perhaps it's because I started my career before he became popular, and before the 'revolution' in American woodworking, particularly American amateur woodworking, that occurred in the later 1970's.

I recall that we used to simply dismiss American craft woodworking of the early 1970's as the triumph of wood over all other considerations of design, taste, function and joinery skills, ie, lumpy tree root stuff slathered over with epoxy resin and, therefore, laughable junk, ha, ha. Slainte.

Sgain Dubh wrote:
I recall that we used to simply dismiss American craft woodworking of the early 1970's as the triumph of wood over all other considerations of design, taste, function and joinery skills, ie, lumpy tree root stuff slathered over with epoxy resin and, therefore, laughable junk
I agree with this viewpoint, a lot of the 'murrican stuff from this era was truly ghastly, however I do like the way that JK writes. The main point is tho' that when the early books were written he had not yet moved to the States and was living and working in Sweden, so they reflect a European viewpoint. The books really are his own individual 'take' on woodwork and cabinet making as well containing a lot of very useful practical stuff...only my view :D - Rob

Sgian Dubh":17f6iqgu said:
ByronBlack":17f6iqgu said:
Mr Krenov's spirit and enthusiasm really shines through. If anyone wonders what all the fuss is about - please take the time to read his books, to get the full effect....

Unfortunately Byron, I find Mr. Krenov's writings come across as directionless twittering. Reading a whole page of any any of his books gives me the urge to slam it shut and throw it away as far as possible, preferably into a fire.

I have no idea why the man who seems to inspire so many others simply irritates the pants off me. Perhaps it's because I started my career before he became popular, and before the 'revolution' in American woodworking, particularly American amateur woodworking, that occurred in the later 1970's.

I recall that we used to simply dismiss American craft woodworking of the early 1970's as the triumph of wood over all other considerations of design, taste, function and joinery skills, ie, lumpy tree root stuff slathered over with epoxy resin and, therefore, laughable junk, ha, ha. Slainte.

I approached the book not as a writing on woodworking or a 'how to' but rather a theory, an outlook and just an interesting read into a man with conviction and love for his craft - which you don't see very often in print (in an amateur way). Quite often, authors of woodoworking books/articles are very dry and technical and don't pay much regard to the actual material - I know this isn't always the case though, just a fair amount of stuff that i've read.

I'm not sure I understand your last paragraph as Krenov is partly famous for those very things that you have dismissed: design, function, skills etc.. maybe i'm missing your point, if thats the case I apologise.

ByronBlack":33eyw6s3 said:
I'm not sure I understand your last paragraph as Krenov is partly famous for those very things that you have dismissed: design, function, skills etc.. maybe i'm missing your point, if thats the case I apologise.

Byron, if you read again what I said in the previous paragraph, it'll make sense. Krenov didn't become well known until later in the 1970's. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":1l7eemd4 said:

Richard,
I'm trying to picture this stuff that you are describing, but since I was born in the early 70s, I don't have memories of it -- does it live on today as "rustic" furniture? (I've seen some of that -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.)

And I hope that you are not refering to Nakashima.

In the early 70s, the Shaker revival was picking up into full swing here.

Perhaps the epoxy-covered stuff was in Texas???
-Andy

AHoman":14rrb1hq said:
I'm trying to picture this stuff that you are describing, but since I was born in the early 70s, I don't have memories of it -- does it live on today as "rustic" furniture? (I've seen some of that -- the good, the bad, and the ugly.)

Andy

Yes Andy some of that rustic furniture popular in the south of and mid west of the US is probably the spawn of the 500 lb gorilla like clunky tree stump and 6" thick slab table top stuff made as coffee tables. The contemporary equivalent of those early 70's horrors are probably the ranges of beds, chairs and tables made largely out of cow horns and antlers-- might be okay in a rarely visited log cabin, ha, ha.

Sadly, for me, Nakashima's work also treads dangerously close to the description 'a triumph of wood over all other considerations' or that 'it doesn't matter what it looks like, but the wood is good' philosophy. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":1f9p17eo said:
AHoman":1f9p17eo said:

Andy

Yes Andy some of that rustic furniture popular in the south of and mid west of the US is probably the spawn of the 500 lb gorilla like clunky tree stump and 6" thick slab table top stuff made as coffee tables. The contemporary equivalent of those early 70's horrors are probably the ranges of beds, chairs and tables made largely out of cow horns and antlers-- might be okay in a rarely visited log cabin, ha, ha.

Sadly, for me, Nakashima's work also treads dangerously close to the description 'a triumph of wood over all other considerations' or that 'it doesn't matter what it looks like, but the wood is good' philosophy. Slainte.

You mean something like this?

conoid_table.jpg

woodbloke":8oksu3vt said:
. I haven't yet used mine as it still has a lot of Jim's marking out details on the sides and even better has been signed at the front so any use will damage these marks :cry: so it takes pride of place on the 'Tool Wall' - Rob

it's a tool, not an ornament!

ByronBlack":gfliyhey said:
You mean something like this?

conoid_table.jpg

That's the sort of stuff Byron. Compared to the huge log clunkers I'm refering to from the early American 70's Nakashima's stuff is almost, well, er, dainty. The top is only about 2" or 3" thick for a start, and there's even an underframe made of machined and joined square'ish bits instead of a tree stump. Slainte.

Tony":2kkqnpeo said:
woodbloke":2kkqnpeo said:
. I haven't yet used mine as it still has a lot of Jim's marking out details on the sides and even better has been signed at the front so any use will damage these marks :cry: so it takes pride of place on the 'Tool Wall' - Rob

it's a tool, not an ornament!
.....and to take a purely mercenary viewpoint, will increase hugely in value as the years roll one if the original provenance isn't destroyed by my mucky fingers, or anyone else's for that matter - Rob

.....and to take a purely mercenary viewpoint, will increase hugely in value as the years roll one if the original provenance isn't destroyed by my mucky fingers, or anyone else's for that matter

Rob

What if the mucky fingers were JK's?

I am sorry you feel this way about JK's smoother. I am pretty sure that he would also feel so.

For myself, the value lies in its present symbolism and not in its future as a collector item. At the same time I am mindful of the latter but I consider that careful use and maintenance will not harm this area. Like a good violin, some instruments cannot be left on the shelf.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek - true enough, JK's plane will be used on certain projects that I have in mind, but very carefully and selectively :wink: Some of the original marking out lines have been left on the plane and not removed....these I want to keep as well as his signature on the front which could well be obscured by careless handling - Rob

Here is a link to my most recent article. It brings together a few items I recently posted.

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/dCohen/z_art/KrenovPlane/krenovPlane1.asp

Regards from Perth

Derek

Krenov may have popularised and been responsible for laminated planes in the 1980's, but the concept is widely referred to in 1920-1930 books as an easier way to make a plane for home woodworkers.

The toe and heel shape are interesting; very few common (factory) plane in Britain or Europe have that amount of shaping on the heel. The toe is most interesting; it looks (to me) almost like a missing link between an English plane (no front grip) and a European "horn" (which are, of neccessity, "handed").

It might be interesting, and most inappropriate, to take these design ideas, and make a "super finished" version, combining Krenov's ergonomics with the materials and finish of an infill.

c.f. the grips on target pistols or bows.

http://dixongrips.com/index.php?main_pa ... ucts_id=71

BugBear

Back