The James Krenov Smoother – under review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had it not been for the "gurus", many many people would not have been inspired to woodwork, nor would designs have changed over the years and we would probably all still be sitting on rocks.
There are those who dislike change and in the world of design without change there would be nothing new to learn, which would be very sad, or shall we return to the 50s or 30s or.......

Dom

yes but with all that he does seem to have made a beautiful plane that works well :lol: :twisted: :roll:

if he gives more of us the desire to make our own woodies, and then use them then that is a thing to be happy for.
8)
paul :wink:

Yes OK then if he's an inspiration that's good - but one may have to move on at some point.
Just trying to think what inspired me ("obviously nothing!" I hear you cry). Musta been Barry Bucknell.

cheers
Jacob

That's the stuff. My old dad nailed it all over the place. Over our bedroom doors and windows infact. Luckily we saw it coming and had stashed away one of these but it still took us a week to get out :shock:
hbplane.jpg

I have read some of JK books and his writing is certainly different, but it did not bug me, it is just a different way of expressing his love of all things wood. As for his work, well I have not seen anything in the flesh and pictures can distort an image, but one thing that does impress me is the softness of his work. There are no sharp corners, there are gentle curves, the convex and concave doors I really like. I guess that up close things may not appeal so much as machining marks are often left, but is that not the nature of his work that makes it a bit different. The other aspect that I think is worth a mention is that a lot of his work was done in a very basic small workshop with minimal machines, that does encourage me.

He respected his high quality heavy duty machines. He didn't glorify the neanderthal approach,
except when it came to the final touches. I should stop speaking of him in the past tense. Rumour has it
that he's still alive. :lol:

Mr_Grimsdale":jhozs5np said:
Makepeace another "guru". Did JK make chairs at all? I'll find out when I get the book (if I don't throw it straight in the fire :lol: )

I bet a JK chair would have very long spindly legs and a rather uncomfortable top so you'd bang your head on the ceiling. :lol:

cheers
Jacob

Jacob, gotta ask...

Is there anyone whose work was "popularized" in the last 20 years or so that you admire, or at least like? :? :shock: :roll:

I know little of Makepeace, but what I've seen looked quite interesting. Krenov, well, I don't know where to stand... Some of his pieces are interesting, others I don't care for. I think that in his case the message he conveyed stands out from the rest of his work, and even that leaves me standing on one foot, as many who studied under him never made it out as furniture makers, as there was no emphasis in his teaching as how to make a living at it. Still, his influence can't be denied, like it or not...

Just my $0.02,

DC

dchenard":4ol5xodg said:
as many who studied under him never made it out as furniture makers, as there was no emphasis in
his teaching as how to make a living at it. Still, his influence can't be denied, like it or not...

Just my $0.02,

DC

Yep, that's part of the criticism he receives from many wanna-be professional cabinet makers.
His romanticism, such as talking about enjoying the pitter patter of little feet up above his basement
shop,etc. It was because of such criticism that he titled his next book "The Impractical Cabinetmaker".
He calls himself an amateur.

dchenard":2ugs75g2 said:
snip
Jacob, gotta ask...

Is there anyone whose work was "popularized" in the last 20 years or so that you admire, or at least like? :? :shock: :roll:

snip
I like them all really.
But what makes me uneasy is uncritical reverence. Acolytes tend to be less aware of the quality of non celebrity stuff and could be missing things - are blinded to "vernacular", the works of "anon" and dismiss the great tradition which we all fiddle about on the edge of.
No doubt JK is competent, well meaning and sincere old chap but he does burble on in a semi mystical way which is often the first sign of a charlatan.
Nevertheless I'm looking forward to reading his book. :lol:

cheers
Jacob

To be fair, Jacob does say "could" be missing things. And I find I agree with him - uncritical reverence makes me uneasy too. Actually it makes me heave, but then I'm not naturally good at lack of criticism... :oops: I think it also does a disservice to, for want of a better word, the "guru" - gurus with adoring unquestioning fans have to be twice to three times as brilliant to get me past the initial heaving reaction. :lol: Fundamentally I find it's easiest to treat it like football. i.e. Don't confuse the football with the footballers. And don't confuse the footballers with their fans.

Jacob, quite surprised you haven't already read John Brown; think he might be right up your street. On the other hand he has fans and has been known to wax a tiny bit mystical, so maybe not. :D If you do enjoy it, drop me a PM - I may have something of interest.

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1kwsouiy said:
I think it also does a disservice to, for want of a better word, the "guru" - gurus with adoring unquestioning fans have to be twice to three times as brilliant to get me past the initial heaving reaction.

Perhaps if we replace the word "guru" with "master" or "teacher" or "sensei" we might do better. They all have less "mystical" connotations.

BugBear

Alf":3p911v6g said:
To be fair, Jacob does say "could" be missing things.

Yes, but Jacob does tend to come across as if he thinks the rest of us are ignorant and know nothing. Some of us might just have spent many years studying and appreciating the arts and crafts in all their various forms :wink:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

just where are all these uncritical acolytes? I don't see many on this forum. You only have take the 'interesting pieces' threads to see how divided in taste we all are - especially with regards to these mythical 'guru's Jacob speaks of.

Jacob, to be honest, reading your posts on this subject, you come across sounding quite bitter about the well known makers, I wonder why that is?

If someone really liked krenov or charlesworth, or savage, or becksvoort or whoever doesn't mean they are an acolyte blinded to other opinions, thats quite rediculous. It would be like me saying that all liverpool FC fans are uncritical acolytes - which of course there not, not matter what people like I would say the majority are balanced enough not to have a blind disregard to any negative aspects of their particular interest.

My final point ref krenov's books: so what if its mystical and whimsical? You tell me what is wrong with that? Would you also slag of japanese artists who have a very spiritual/mystical aspect about themselves? Should all books on the subject be dry with technical detail?

Jacob, i'm glad you're bothering to read the book, although I doubt it'll change your opinion, it would be nice if you could perhaps streth your undoubtedly intelligent mind to be just a little more open and accepting.

ByronBlack":2ghofpd5 said:
snip
Jacob, to be honest, reading your posts on this subject, you come across sounding quite bitter about the well known makers, I wonder why that is?
snip
No not bitter - think thats down to chat group misinterpretation as per often the case. Opinionated yes.

Anyway off to the sea side shortly, mrs G and dog G in the car already, getting agitated!

cheers
Jacob

Mr_Grimsdale":3c9lkgdc said:
No not bitter - think thats down to chat group misinterpretation as per often the case. Opinionated yes.
cheers
Jacob

Is that a good thing?

o·pin·ion·at·ed /əˈpɪnyəˌneɪtɪd/ Pronunciation Key
–adjective
obstinate or conceited with regard to the merit of one's own opinions; conceitedly dogmatic.

alternately if you prefer

o·pin·ion·at·ed (ə-pĭn'yə-nā'tĭd) Pronunciation Key
adj. Holding stubbornly and often unreasonably to one's own opinions.

mr":1bgeuslm said:
Is that a good thing?

mr,
Some people think they can use words any way they wish -- they simply lack any sense of respect for the language and the history and traditions of its use, as established over the centuries by "anon." ;) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-Andy

Latest posts

Back