The importance of context...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Howlett

Established Member
Reaction score
I am amazed at the high quality of skill demonstrated in the projects section often applied to mundane and dull designs. We all got to start somewhere - may I suggest that before you make a project you look at real Shaker (this fake catchall modern style is miles away from Shaker philosophy), Gustaf Stickley, Rene Mackintosh, Carlo Ponti and especially Emille Jacqes Rhulmann. You will be surprised how contemporary these designers were and how, with their appeal to classic lines and classical concepts, they produced timeless furniture.

If you are going to make something don't copy that bland furniture you see in the high street - for instance: If you don't have children, a coffe table can be made with the lightest of underframes and a floatingly thin top, veneered in a simple press, employing stunning burr veneers (remember to use PVA glue)...

I'll photograph a winning design of mine (back in the 80's - woodworker show - young designer awarded by Alan Peters) to give you an idea. See it in the projects section.

Burrs are unstable and the last thing you want is a brittle glue. Advice given me by a veneer manufacturer who had an office panneled in walnut burr, one panel of which was layed up with a 'cascamite' type glue, the rest, PVA. The only cracked and crazed panel was the cascamite one...

Design is very subjective. Because one person may think a certain style is mundane or bland, to another it might be what they like or fitting for their requirements. It's unfair to suggest to someone that although they might have built it skillfully, their design is mundane, it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Pete,

I agree with most of what you have to say, particularly about "Shaker Style"...........but wasn't Rhulman art deco?

Mike

Latest posts

Back