The Hand Thickness Planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Kierstead

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok, I will admit it is a bit of a specialized thickness planer, but I think it was a neat solution. I was inspired by a wildly specialized japanese plane for planing parts of shoji.

The need: I have a whole bunch of small parts, all roughly the same length, which need to be planed square 1/2" x 1/2". For several reasons, not the least of which they are too short, I did not want to use the powered thickness planer. Even this time round I will do about 32 of them; I may well do more in the future. Gauging and thicknessing to the line that many parts was not high on my list of good ideas. I remembered the Japanese plane for shoji; basically it is a plane with depth stops on both sides that ride on the bench/beam, giving a consistently thicknesses piece. I didn't have a woodie to use for the purpose so I set about doing something my metal planes could deal with. This is what I came up with:

ManualThicknessPlaner-1.jpg

The slot is 1/2" deep an a little over 1/2" wide. The rails guide the plane. Like a shooting board, the edges of the plane keep it from planing the actual jig (past the very first shaving or two); the rails help keep it from wandering off and let my brain rest. The screw in the slot lets me pull the plane straight back without ejecting the piece. You use it as such:

ManualThicknessPlaner-2.jpg

Ending up with lots of shavings (a small sampling!):

ManualThicknessPlaner-3.jpg

Like the power thicknesser, the opposite side (the down side in the jig) must be jointed reasonably flat; this jig does not make the pieces *straight*, it makes the two sides parallel. Of course a 90 degree rotation will make the pieces square. Fun and easy!

I'm not Paul, but I think that he means the slot is longer than the stick he is planing, so the screw is set so the stick stays place, while he draws the plane back across it.

Very good use of what you have on hand Paul! :D

BTW, that is nearly exactly how they make the square pointed chopsticks here in Japan, the slot is deeper at one end than the other, and the stick is inserted and then the planed, flipped , planed, flipped, and finished.

Works slick! 8)

I was just thinking about something similar'ish to this yesterday.

I buy cheap offcuts, as such I have absolutely loads of different woods (ash, beech, oak, teak, iroko, maple, mahogany) in strip lengths. I like laminating different colours together and now I have a woodrat, I was going to lay them together, make double dovetails and generally be a smart buttocks.

However, I don't have a planer or a thicknesser, and before anyone says it, no, I'm not going to do it all by hand with just one old plane and a well greased badger, or any other 'back in my day' type method. What I do have is a ryobi power plane, which I want to mount to some form of MDF construction to make a very small thicknesser, so that I can run these long, small cross-section strips through to get them all the same for laminating. I have a couple of peristaltic pumps I could use to turn rollers for in and out feed, has anyone done anything similar??

Aidan

Philly":fi845hca said:
Good idea, Paul!
So you didn't fancy gluing two battens to the bottom of your plane instead? :lol:
Philly :D

There used (1980s) to be a gadget that clamped to the sole of your plane that had micro adjustable runners.

I will try to find an advert to scan and post.

BugBear

TheTiddles":2l1ufpcn said:
I was just thinking about something similar'ish to this yesterday.

I buy cheap offcuts, as such I have absolutely loads of different woods (ash, beech, oak, teak, iroko, maple, mahogany) in strip lengths. I like laminating different colours together and now I have a woodrat, I was going to lay them together, make double dovetails and generally be a smart ****.

However, I don't have a planer or a thicknesser, and before anyone says it, no, I'm not going to do it all by hand with just one old plane and a well greased badger, or any other 'back in my day' type method. What I do have is a ryobi power plane, which I want to mount to some form of MDF construction to make a very small thicknesser, so that I can run these long, small cross-section strips through to get them all the same for laminating. I have a couple of peristaltic pumps I could use to turn rollers for in and out feed, has anyone done anything similar??

Aidan

Not exactly "Hand tools" but I think Bosch used to make a gadget that would hold one of their power planers and turn it into a mini thicknesser (Bosch ADV 82). I seem to remember a post on this forum some time back where the user didn't rate it though.

Philly":3elmk8qe said:
So you didn't fancy gluing two battens to the bottom of your plane instead? :lol:

Um, well, I kinda did actually .... was contemplating what glue might stick but be reversible or releasable. It didn't take too long before I decided that was a bad idea. Also considered things which clamped to the side ... make a batten with a rebate so it hugged up the side of the plane and could be clamped to the side of the plane. Struck me as an odd hack, not really nice plus clamps and bits would be in the way, etc. One can get some pretty strange ideas sometimes.....

Latest posts

Back