The Great Carlsberg Workshop Construction Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlsberg

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have just started on the construction of my new workshop/summerhouse/hideaway 8)

I have been inspired by our very own Mailee, who has had his workshop build published in one of the woodworking magazines.
Mailee has kindly sent me his plans in Sketchup format for me to copy(butcher?) his design.

I intend to post in pictures of the progress after every full day of work on the project. I have no previous experience of building structures of this type, but have been leeching all the advice I can get from Google :)

I will also explain what I intend to do as the project goes on ,so I can hopefully get advice from forum members if i am about to mess things up.

Total workshop dimensions are going to be 4m wide, 5.8m long, with a veranda on the front taking the overall length to 7.3m.

Ok here goes....

DAY 1
The day was spent marking out the area for the workshop, using the 3-4-5 triangle rules for ensuring the area was 'square'.
(Pictures a little blurred, not used the digital camera for a while :oops: )

I am in the process of digging 15 footings ( for the main building part only, not the veranda ), each one 450mmx450mm, approx a spade-and-a-half deep :D
I have driven wooden stakes at intervals throughout the area, all at the same level, the ground height varies about 6 inches over the area.

I have made 15 wooden squares which i am putting around each footing, hopefully all roughly level so i can fill with concrete and have a near level base.
On top of each concrete footing i am going to cement a concrete block into place, varying the thickness of the mortar to get all 15 footings exactly level.
4 footings fully dug out, plus marking out area and making 15 squares, enough for first day.

Spent £30 on the timber for the squares. Not in my original budget, probably not really needed, but i want this building to last for years, so i will probably do things every stage 'overkill' throughout the project.

Carlsberg

( I really hope I can speed up the forum postings, this has taken nearly an hour :shock: )

Hi there,Carlsberg,and welcome :D

Suppose it's going to be "probably the best workshop in the world.." (sorry,I'll get my coat :oops: )

Please post away,pictures and all - having built my own workshop last year,it's a subject I can always read and enjoy (and learn from)

Andrew

Hi Carlsberg,

Welcome to the forum. :D

Everyone Needs a Workshop, glad you getting yours built. :roll:

You will get quicker at posting, its just practice, just like woodwork. 8)

Well Carlsberg I am flattered, thanks. I also look forward to reading your postings on the build. I have to admit I really enjoyed building mine and I am sure you will too. You will find plenty of help and advice on here if you need it. Glad the plans were of help to you too. Best of luck. :wink:

Hi Carlsberg

Welcome to the forum, you must hurry along and get it finished in time for Christmas just in case Santa wants to fill it with new tools :D :D :D

Alan.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone :)

Today I have finished off digging all 15 footings, and levelling out the shuttering boards ready to fill with concrete mix.

Ordered 2 tons gravel, 1 ton sharp sand, 15 bags of cement and 15 solid concrete blocks which will eventually be mortared level on top of each of the footings.
Delivery will be Monday, costing £153.04

This brings total cost of project so far to £184.51

I have been compiling a list of timber needed for the floor, roof studwork and external cladding. Timber will be as follows:-
  • Floor Joists 6x2
    Rafters and Ridge Beam 6x2
    Studwork 2x4 CLS
    Floor and Roof covering, Floorboard T+G
    Cladding Shiplap T+G or Loglap T+G
All the above timber will be pressure treated which raises the cost significantly, but not excessively. Probably overkill, but I only intend building one of these ever.

I was advised to not use pressure treated cladding on the outside, as I would struggle getting the T+G together.. Anyone come across this? Personally I would rather struggle once and have peace of mind of using treated timber.

I am thinking of buying the majority of the materials from Berry's in Preston. Its local and one of the very few places that have a published pricelist on the internet ( a godsend for estimating costs).
At the moment I am enquiring about getting some discount on the published prices, so I have to send them my shopping list for a quote. The impression I got after talking to the sales team - a discount is looking unlikely.

Rough figures show the total project materials price coming to £3000 :cry: I intend to work on getting that figure down.

Still debating buying or hiring a mixer........future plans include total garden landscaping, large decking and large extension on the house, so buying may prove more cost effective.

I had the pleasure of using a Belle Minimix 150 Honda at the weekend, helping my friend construct the footings for a conservatory he is building. The mixer was fantastic, but at £480 :roll:

Pictures to be posted Monday evening, after the concrete pour.
Also.......any criticism welcomed, I want to make sure I am building this right!!

Carlsberg

At the moment I am enquiring about getting some discount on the published prices, so I have to send them my shopping list for a quote. The impression I got after talking to the sales team - a discount is looking unlikely.

But if you don't ask,you certainly won't - it's worth trying!
Cost doesn't seem too bad for the size;I extended my shed just over eighteen months ago (concrete slab,single skin brickwork,plywood/felt roof) - extension was 2.5m x 2.5m,cost £120 for the concrete,about £800 for building materials,and about £80 for electrics - so about a third of the price for something about a third of the size.

Andrew

carlsberg":2nyumccx said:
I am thinking of buying the majority of the materials from Berry's in Preston. Its local and one of the very few places that have a published pricelist on the internet ( a godsend for estimating costs).

I registered online with Travis Perkins, then you can access their pricing. Also, the card you get gives you good discount - I guess they realise most people shopping around on the internet are looking for good pricing. Also, have a chat with the chaps on the sales desk, they casn extend discount sometimes up to 40% depending ont he product. When I gave them the card, (which they post to you after registering), they swiped it and the price came down a bit futher, as the online people get slightly better discount on certain items).

Adam

Carlsberg, another workshop thread, there must be something in the air.

Thanks for posting. I think yours is the first of the recent workshop build threads not to have incorporated a solid base. I do hope you have thought about the possibility (in some areas inevitability) of animals making there home in what will become nice dry soil.

My recent experience with badgers and foxes makes me very wary of not using a thick sold concrete base.

Do keep the pictures coming.

Andy

Carlsberg, glad to see another workshop build thread!

Your material list sounds fine to me - similar to what i've used, although i've not gone for treated materal for the framing, it's going to be covered by T&G on the outside and sheeting on the inside. I would definitly recommend re-thinking about doing everyhting in treated wood as that would bring your costs down by quite a bit, and there's nothing stopping you from treating the timber yourself with the wide range of products that are available.

Keep us posted with pics - we all love pics!

Hello,

I have finally filled all 15 footings with concrete today, it was real hard work.

Here are some pics I took this morning before work commenced, i forgot to take pics after i had finished all the hard work :roll:

Here are 2 close up pictures showing the variation in the ground height. All 'squares' are roughly level with each other.

A quick tally of costs so far, £9.00 hire for a mixer, and £3.00 on petrol for it, bringing the grand total so far....... £196.51

The next job is setting the 15 concrete blocks with mortar on top of each footing. I hope to get these virtually level, so I will have to wait until I get my timber order delivered so I have a 6x2 which can span the long length.
...which brings me onto my first hiccup.

I am getting my timber, DPC and insulation for the floor all from one supplier, Berrys in Preston.
The reason I chose them is that they can pressure treat all the timber to order, and the could supply me with the 4x2 CLS, which is hard to get hold of in the NW of England, even though they do not sell it normally. I spoke with the saw mill guys, he said that they could make some 4x2 CLS no problems.

I have been given a quote which is quite good on price, but now they tell me that they cant supply 4x2 CLS, they are not prepared to do a small run of only 250 linear metres of the stuff :x

They are trying to source some 4x2 CLS, but I intend to ring them tomorrow, and place the order without it. The order is going to be at least 5 days to delivery, as that is the lead time on getting the T+G and Shiplap pressure treated.

As it happens, Jewson can supply 4x2 CLS, but only in 2.4m lengths, at £1.99+vat each.

I did subscribe to the Travis Perkins trade card, but they want £2.80+vat :shock: for a 2.4m length, and £5.92+vat :shock: for a 4.8m length!!!

So does anyone know where I can buy 4.8m lengths of 4x2 CLS in the North West? I can use a Transit van with roof rack to pick them up, I just need 18 off 4.8m, lengths.

Now advice time........Can I have your opinions on Log-Lap versus Ship-Lap? The supplier can provide either for the same price( i think, will clarify tomorrow). I have seen plenty of Ship-Lap buildings in the flesh, but not Log-Lap. I would be gratefull for opions from those who have seen both in real-life. I have seen internet pictures, but thats all.

I do hope you have thought about the possibility (in some areas inevitability) of animals making there home in what will become nice dry soil.
There are pheasants running around keeping me company, I would mind if those kept shelter underneath.
My recent experience with badgers and foxes makes me very wary of not using a thick sold concrete base.
You have just ensured that I use some thick gauge chicken wire or some sort of heavy plastic netting :eek: suggestions most welcome!!

Im getting losts of encouragement from the other workshop-build threads, I cannot wait until i'm getting timber up on show.

Speaking of which, I have bought a Framing nailer, hoping to do the studwork and the flooring sheathing ( will a framing nailer be gentle enought to nail sheathing using 2.5mm x 50mm galvanised ring nails? )
I have gone for the Air-Tool option, as opposed to a Paslode style gun. For the same price, I can get a decent compressor, framing nailer and still have plenty of change to maybe buy a decent brad nailer. There is lots of future work to be done on the house by these tools, so i feel that they are a worthy investment.

Damn, another question..... :lol: Im looking to buy a compressor of 25l in size, and have read about the new oil-less ones being very noisy. Anyone have any experience of the oil-filled variety that are direct drive, not belt driven? As wellas lasting longer because of the lubrication, are they significantly quieter? Axminster sell an oiled one http://www.axminster.co.uk/recno/2/product-Axminster-AWC25HP-Compressor-21377.htm Seems a good price to me, and should last years with light use and some TLC.

OK, I have to go, I need a hot bath, I look forward to any replies.

Regards,

Carlsberg

Why CLS and not just sawn 2x4? Much more readily available, especially treated.

carlsberg":3vdkntbj said:
......another question..... :lol: Im looking to buy a compressor of 25l in size, and have read about the new oil-less ones being very noisy. Anyone have any experience of the oil-filled variety that are direct drive, not belt driven? As well as lasting longer because of the lubrication, are they significantly quieter?
Hi Carlsberg

Well the oil-less ones are noisier, yes, but there is more of a difference between 1-stage and 2-stage (queiter) and direct drive/3000 rpm belt drive and 1500 rpm (again quieter). I've had an el Cheapo B&Q 7 litre airless for a few years and done a number of fencing jobs using a deWalt D51845 full round head nailer with that bag of nails. It's noisy, but it's indestructable whilst being light enough to drag around.....

Scrit

Jake":b9ebwnmi said:
Why CLS and not just sawn 2x4? Much more readily available, especially treated.

Tried to convince myself to go with rough sawn, but after using 3x2 CLS previously, its so much nicer to work with.
Also rough sawn 4x2 costs the same as 4x2 CLS, about £1 per metre including vat. Does that sound correct?

BTW, I have decided to use non-treated for the studwork, as I am going to use breathable waterproof membrane between the cladding and the studwork.
Only joists, roof timbers and T+G flooring will be tanalised.

Keep up with the cross examination please, I need as much guidance as I can get.

Carlsberg

using a deWalt D51845 full round head nailer

Thats the nailer I am going to use, albeit the previous model D51844.
I am currently locating some 'ammunition' for it, 90mm for the framing, 50mm for the floorboards/cladding Hot Dipped Galvanised is a must if using pressure treated timber ( so I have been educated by Google)

Maybe I sould get a 7l compressor if it handles the big nailer, like the one you have... more decisions... More price hunting, but the Axminster one seems good value to me (£80, and Einhell do one the same for less), and maybe a couple of dB quieter for workshop use.

Lots more to ponder over before I have to calculate the rafter angles and the distance to cut the 'birds-mouth'... :p
Carlsberg

If you are looking for a compressor for the nail gun I would suggest you go for a model with a minimum output of 7CFM as this will handle the large gun. If the output is lower than this it will take a lot of air and be much slower. Of course the larger the tank the less it has to build up. I am still on the lookout for a large one as I borrowed one for mine. The small brad nailer will take very little in the way of air though. Just thought I would mention this fact before you go out and buy one. :wink:

Scrit":24biubtq said:
I've had an el Cheapo B&Q 7 litre airless for a few years and done a number of fencing jobs using a

Ah yes, the famous airless compressor, designed by the same Irishman who has been looking for a lake with a slope on it so he can learn to waterski........

Rgds

Paddy

carlsberg":1r5uikm9 said:
You have just ensured that I use some thick gauge chicken wire or some sort of heavy plastic netting :eek: suggestions most welcome!!

If you do get a badger under your shed I can assure that they can shift a lot of soil very quickly and could undermine your footings. Once you've got them it is ilegal to do anything about it yourself, unless you have the right qualifications from the Environment Agency - I think. If chicken wire is to be used I suggest that it would need to be buried at least 1 foot down.

Also if you have them and you want to get rid of them be cafeful who you speak to in the street about it - not everyone around here thinks they are a bloody nuisance in an urban environment.

Andy

Noel":pg1lu3lc said:
Scrit":pg1lu3lc said:
I've had an el Cheapo B&Q 7 litre airless for a few years and done a number of fencing jobs using a

Ah yes, the famous airless compressor, designed by the same Irishman who has been looking for a lake with a slope on it so he can learn to waterski........
:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: - OIL-less, as well you know, Paddy (Coleman balls, anybody?).

Carlsberg

Have you tried some of the fencing supply places for collated nails? The only thing to note is that they are 20 degree strips (some of the Senco and Bostitch nailers use a different angle). If you can't get them elsewhere then there's always Spotnails. And you're dead right, you do need some form of hot-dipped or coated nails for tanalised timber.

The little OIL-less (OK, Paddy?) compressor I use can get a bit breathless, but it was cheap. I suppose it all depends on what else you'll do with it in the future. In my case I already have a large static compressor in the workshop, so buying something larger and heavier than the bare minimum wasn't really worthwhile for me. If noise abatement in the workshop is an issue the compressor can always be housed in a soundproofed box - so long as it can get a flow of air for compressing/cooling this shouldn't be a problem

Scrit

"If I were going there, now, I wouldn't have started from here, to be sure....." :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back