The Great Carlsberg Workshop Construction Project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone,
I have done some more work on the footings/base and have finally finished it off. Pictures taken also :)

First of all let me do a total spent on getting the base complete.
Having spent an additional £22.91 on some more gravel to sit on top of the weed membrane, and £33.73 on said membrane and a roll of 600mm DPC.
Total cost for the base is £252.20 and about 4 days of my own hard labour

I have ordered the timber which should get delivered next week, after the stuff is pressure treated.
Order consists of:-
all the 6 x 2 timber for the floor and roof
8x1 timber for cross-bracing roof, 4"x4" beams to hold up roof over veranda, and some 2x5 for the veranda rails
430 linear metres of T+G Floorboards to cover floor and roof.
530 linear metres of Loglap for external cladding
9 sheets of 60mm polystyrene insulation for under floor
a roll of Vapour Permeable Membrane, for under the Loglap
a tin of end grain treatment
All the timber above is pressure treated in a brown colour, except the veranda rails which I hope to varnish.
That little lot weighs in at £1467.67

I still need to buy approx 250m of 4x2 for the studwork, then some roofing felt.
That should get me a waterproof structure before the bad weather comes.

Ok, pictures as promised..

All concrete blocks are now mortared onto the footings. Each is block is level, and within 1/8 inch :shock: in height of adjacent blocks.
I am really pleased with the results, and should give me a solid level base to build on....which should result in a level roof???? :lol:

Now that all the dirty work is out the way, I am looking forward to start the build.

Now some replies to the comments I am very grateful for...

If chicken wire is to be used I suggest that it would need to be buried at least 1 foot down.
Regarding the threat of animals nesting underneath.
I have spoke with family who have lived in the property for a long time, they have never seen badgers or foxes....but probably every other type of animal!! Being in the countryside, surrounded by lots of farms, maybe there are much better places for these animals to live.
However I am going to surround the underneath with chickenwire, buried maybe 6" at the most.
Given that there will be no vegetation underneath, just gravel, chickenwire will stop most animals getting underneath, there really wont be much underneath to eat.

Having done a kind of risk assessment, I feel that the fact that i am building it poses a greater threat to the life of the shed than any other risks :lol:

In my case I already have a large static compressor in the workshop, so buying something larger and heavier than the bare minimum wasn't really worthwhile for me.
I am going to buy a substantial compressor which will eventually live in the home it is going to build. I am going for an oil filled one, that goes upto 10bar.

Total spent on project so far is £1719.87 excluding any new tools :)
More updates next week, when hopefully the wood arrives and I can start & complete the floor structure.

In the meantime, I will enjoy reading the other workshop build threads, get a compressor, and hunt down some 4x2 CLS locally.

As usual, I thank you all for all the feedback you have given.
Carlsberg

Looking good,hope you are enjoying seeing it start to take shape.

excluding any new tools

And therein lies a whole new slope... :wink: (but would love to have the thread carry on through the outfitting stage as well)

Andrew

comiong on nicely mate and the cost looks very reasonable so far. Wish I had that much space to build in ;)

Looks good

when i buil our cabin i also used a compresser and nail gun (from axminster)

But also bolted down the 2 by 4 with carrige bolts, I can really recommend that one (wouldn't do nais or screws)

the frame i screwd, more rigid then nails

and if you use screws get torx, you will not regrett it

for the siding i used the nailer as well as the osb for the floor and roof

Good Evening,
Just a quick update...

All the timber has now arrived, moved half of it, there is still a huge pile on the drive.
The build happens to be approx 80 metres from where the timber was dropped off; it was as close as I could get it dropped :(

I ended up getting some 4x2 scant timber for the studding ( CLS in 4x2 form is 'as rare as hens teeth' in the Northwest of England -quoting many woodyards )
66 lengths at 2.4m.
I also wanted 18 lengths at 4.8m, but they could not source any scant in that length, so the woodyard kindly machined down some rough sawn 4x2 to the same dimensions as the scant.

Well, I am all set to move the rest of the timber tomorrow, and then start cutting the 6x2 floor joists on Sunday.

With the cost of the studding timber, total cost of project now stands at £1872.72

I will take some pictures of all the wood, almost 1 kilometer of T+G/loglap combined!

Carlsberg

Pictures i hear you say.....

Loglap cladding and floorboards for floor and roof. nearly 1 kilometer of the stuff.

66 lengths of 2x4 taking cover inside, with other bits of timber. The 4.8m lengths are hiding under the flooring insulation that can be seen through the window.

The rafters and the ridge beam 6x2's are stacked to the left, along with the 1x8 beams that connect the rafters horizontally( i don't know the correct term for those..)

The subfloor almost complete, just have to skew nail the additional pieces around the perimeter to give the studwork a 4inch solid base to sit on. I may install the chicken wire onto the back and both sides, leaving the front open until i have put in the footings for the decking. As it is now, the floor is very solid with little or no flex, when the T+G is fitted it should be rock solid.

After i got to this stage, i carried 3/4 of all the remaining timber and stacked it to the left, then covered with tarps. Did i mention it all had to be carried 80m??? :evil: I was totally wiped out after this.

All the timber except the studding timber is pressure treated with 'Naturewood Brown' same protection as tanalith wood, but with the colouring. I am pleased with the colour, should save me from having to stain/paint/treat for some years hopefully.

I intend to give the studwork 2 coats of wood preservative beforei clad it.

I am not able to continue the work until Monday at the earliest, so no updates until then.
£8.50 to add to the total for the nails used on the subfloor, grand total so far £1881.22

I am looking forward to cutting up the polystyrene insulation and getting the floorboards laid.
I have 50mm insulation, so there will be 40-50mm of free space. I am thinking of putting some rockwool over the top of the polystyrene to reduce noise through the floor.....anyone have any thoughts on this?

But also bolted down the 2 by 4 with carrige bolts
I will definitely be using carriage screws, probably 5" to fix down the sole-plates of each side.

Im finding the current spate of 'workshop building fever' very useful for advice and tips. I just hope I can get mine watertight before the bad weather comes...and before i empty my wallet !!

Carlsberg

carlsberg, let me in on your secret.....How do you manage to keep your work site so clean & tidy?

It's looking good, it's gonna be some work shop. :D

Mr Bingly

It's a small price to pay considering it;s going to be consideragly bigger, with a bigger headroom - have you noticed how low those sheds are ?? Also, the frame is very weak compared to a 2x4 frame

I think it's a bargain price to pay considering if it;s built properly, its going to be standing for the next 20+ years.

those building also do not have any sort of insulation or damp proofing

I have a small query please:- Was there a specific reason for laying a block on top of the footing pads to support the floor joists. Could the joists not be supported direct on the pads, even if they needed raising a little higher out of the ground for clearence?

Great build and far superior to a flimsy purchased one!

Regards

mrbingley":3cwwkx9j said:
I can't help but think that this is a hell of a lot of money to spend on building a workshop.
It must be cheaper to buy ready made and spend the saving on tools ?

Look at this one:
http://www.gardenbuildingsdirect.co.uk/ ... n-Workshop

Just my thoughts on the subject.

Chris.

that is not a workshop, and please do not make those comparisons any more, what you see here and on other threads being build are complete houses (like you see in the states)

fully insulated, water and wind proof, with high walls that will give years and years of pleasure, and a lot of pride and joy in building it and showing it of to friends and famely, a place you can call your own, and all the thoughets and months of planning / calculating that has gone into it is worth more than buying a bike shed

sorry for the rant, but this is serious

Mrbingley, half the fun IS the building and planning that goes into the workshop. I am certainly jealous of Carlsberg because although I have built my workshop, I would love to have the space and money to build another :cry: . I would also be able to rectify mistakes and improve the design.

Phil

I understand the satisfaction of building your own, I also built my own workshop. But the reason I did so was to SAVE money, not to just build something because I can.

My shed was sized to suit the width of the box profile sheets that cover the outside (6 X 3 mtrs).
A light 2" X 2" frame, because the box profile sheets add a considerable amount of strength and rigidity.
It is fully insulated with rockwool & has OSB as the inner wall lining.
It's been up for nearly 20 years now & shows no signs of deterioration. I expect it to see me out :wink: .

Don't get me wrong, I'm not running the fella down for making his own, just seems like a lot of money.

Chris.

Bingly, what is a lot of money? Someone could spend upwards of 40k on a workshop and get great satisfaction from it, or you could buy a crappy B&Q jobbie for £800 and equally be as satisified.

I can't understand your opinion that it's expensive. The price carlsberg is spending is not that much more than i've spent on mine, and it's well worth the price, how much would a builder charge to build one of these? 5k 10k more?

Hi Carlsberg
where are you in Southport ?, my daughter lives in Churchtown, as you can see I'm down the road in Liverpool, and I am up in southport quite a bit to see my daughter and the Grand children, I could call in to see you , if you wish

I agree on all points about building your own workshop. I built mine last year and am very glad I did. i priced up the log cabin type of structure in the same size and it was almost twice the price without insulation and electrics! at £4000! I enjoyed every minute of it, the planning, the building and the fitting out. I wasn't too keen ont eh clearing the ground bit but that was a necessary evil I am afraid. These builds you see here are much stronger than any 'shed' you can buy off the peg and as has been mentioned will with care last many years. Mine has double glazing and measures 23' X 13' with a veranda and rails and could easily be mistaken for a summer house or log cabin for that matter With central heating in there I could live in it if SWMBO ever threw me out. :lol: Yes I think it is worth every penny spent for my own hand built workshop and the sense of pride I get from adoration of others is.......Priceless.........for everything else theres Mastercard. :wink:

Hi Carlsberg,

I'm finding this diary really interesting as I'm wanting to look at building my own workshop.

Can I ask a couple of questions though?

1) CLS? I'm ok with most abbreviations, eg PAR, OSB etc but, never come across CLS.

2) I can see the purpose of making concrete pads to rest the joists on. But, why the 'breeze block' type of block to raise the joists up of the pads? Why not make the concrete pads a bit higher so the joist rest directly on top of the pads? Please don't think I'm criticising. I've never done it myself (yet) and don't have a better idea, I'm just curious.

Good luck with the rest of it. I'm looking forward for more of your updates and pictures.

Sandy

Sandy":21suclmy said:
1) CLS? I'm ok with most abbreviations, eg PAR, OSB etc but, never come across CLS.

CLS - Canadian Lumber Standard - has the edges rounded to a 3mm radius (generally used for studwork)

Andrew

Latest posts

Back