The first thing off my lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice work,Rod - personal favourite is the yew ; as you said,not much in the way of figuring,but just has a lovely "warm" colour (you know,the thing that gives it the elusive "want to pick it up" quality :D )

Andrew

Today's pen is of zebrawood. The wood blank was cut accross the grain to emphasise the beauty of the wood. This is another wood that needed flooding with thin CA glue prior to the final cuts on the lathe. I learned that the hard way after a first aborted attempt when the wood just broke away along the grain lines.

What I wasn't prepared for was that after polishing, it had a translucent appearance in places, exactly like the mineral "tigers eye" that moves under the light. It is stunning!

p007-01zebra.jpg

RodN":2ueprw74 said:
(...)
I'm at the stage where (only having made 6 now) I don't want to part with a single one of them.

I'm guessing that a lot of us feel much the same about the things of beauty that we create... I'd rather sell the kids :lol:

It's easier if you set out with the express intention of making them specifically for someone else... doesn't always work though :wink:

The next step is when you look at them and can't believe that you made something like that. :lol: Make sure that you do hang on to the first few things that you make

Pete[/b]

I am ineed going to hang on to my "prototypes" :D

These three were made this afternoon....

First a twist pen in a lovely butter coloured yew, with copper plated fittings.
p008-01yew-cu.jpg

And then a pencil and pen set in spalted maple with gunmetal fittings
p009ab-spmaple-gm-box-750.jpg

This is fun!

Rod

Guess the Christmas present list is going to be a bit easier this year RodN :lol:

Back