The Cutting Edges of H.O. Studley

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jimi43":2n1sb9tx said:
One or too far more famous people than Studley do it this way...and I agree with them.......
You should think for yourself - I can think of one or too far more famous people than Studley who are complete morons!
Yes to single bevel at 30º for most things.
You don't need a guide or "hollow grind as your guide" with freehand honing. But you do have to put the time in to get the hang of it, say 20 minutes or so.

There are only two ways, Jacobs way, and the wrong way.

I have told you this before......

Pete

As long as its sharp it doesn't matter how you sharpened it.

Racers":3cxktm17 said:
There are only two ways, Jacobs way, and the wrong way.

I have told you this before......

Pete

As long as its sharp it doesn't matter how you sharpened it.
Does mean we can't talk about the alternatives, even though you know what (convex bevels) scares people shitless for some reason. Don't worry about it Pete just carry on as normal!

Racers":3ajyva9s said:
You don't talk about the alternatives!

Pete
I talk about and experiment with all the alternatives. Except haven't tried waterstones yet.
These threads go on and on because there is there is this weird semi-hysterical reaction against any suggestion of you know what. Just look at the air of panic in the replies to my OP!

Jacob":5t67we5h said:
Racers":5t67we5h said:
You don't talk about the alternatives!

Pete
I talk about and experiment with all the alternatives. Except haven't tried waterstones yet.These threads go on and on because there is there is this weird semi-hysterical reaction against any suggestion of you know what. Just look at the air of panic in the replies to my OP!

So you base your advise on a flawed/incomplete set of results.

Pete

Jacob":23ux57qa said:
there is there is this weird semi-hysterical reaction against any suggestion of you know what. Just look at the air of panic in the replies to my OP!

I just re-read this entire thread (yes I had some time on my hands). With the possible exception of one post (in a thread of over a hundred), I have not seen anyone question the merits of a convex bevel. Where are these "semi-hysterical" people who are "scared shitless"? Please point them out to me, because I am getting the distict impression that nobody cares. Most of this thread seems to be about the availability of grindstones and the skill of various famous woodworkers. The subject of bevels has hardly been touched.

Yet someone seems to try and steer the conversaton "round" to them.

:lol:

Pete

Latest posts

Back