The Cutting Edges of H.O. Studley

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacob

New Luddism. Awake and resist!
Reaction score
The Cutting Edges of H.O. Studley
Interesting article. Schwarzy concludes that Studley would say as follows:

1. I like a convex bevel. Nearly all of the edges I observed had a slightly convex bevel. A couple tools had evidence of a hollow grind in the middle that was in the process of being removed by sharpening the bevel (making it convex).

2. I like cambered edges on my planes. Nearly every edge of the plane blades (blocks, smoothers, jacks and try) had a cambered cutting edge. Many of the edges were significantly relieved at the corners.

3. I sharpen the entire bevel. Only one tool had any evidence of a micro-bevel.

4. I lap the backs of my irons and chisels. All of the tools in the chest have lapped backs. The lapping is not to a mirror sheen, but there is evidence of significant and continuous work on the backs.

5. I lift my plane irons slightly when I polish the backs. Over and over I saw evidence that the very tip of the back was polished to a higher degree than the metal behind the tip. And (using a machinist straightedge) I could see that the tip of the back was ever-so-slightly dubbed from this polishing. The polishing on the backs was heavier on the bevel-up planes than on the bevel-down planes.

You can take the above information and twist it however you like. Studley was a hand-sharpener. He sharpened the entire bevel. He did something similar to the ruler trick – though he probably didn’t use a ruler. He knew that he needed two intersecting surfaces to create a sharp and durable edge.

As fare as I know, there are two famous tool chests. The Seaton Tool Chest and the Studley Tool Chest.

There are lots of famous furniture. None of them was made by Mr. Studley nor Mr. Seaton.

Mr. Studley and Mr. Seaton didn't use modern tooth brushes.

I can understand the hype about the tool chest of Mr. Studley, it is an ingenious and funny work piece to show off.

But I cannot imagine to work out off that chest. It would drive me crazy in about half an hour.

So Mr. Studley grinded round bevels (maybe he couldn't do straight ones?). OK.

My Grandma baked cakes with 7 tea spoon of sugar and 5 eggs.

I don't bake cakes like my grandma did and I will not aim to grind round bevels.

But if it happens and when it happens, I work with them until they get dull. Then I try again to get it straight. And I 'll brush my teeth. And I will not eat such a cake, even if it happens.

Cheers
Pedder

pedder":c8n9b29e said:
My Grandma baked cakes with 7 tea spoon of sugar and 5 eggs.

I don't bake cakes like my grandma did ....r
Why not? Sounds OK to me - as long as you don't eat the whole cake in one go!

pedder":1wfj23kz said:
As fare as I know, there are two famous tool chests. The Seaton Tool Chest and the Studley Tool Chest.

There are lots of famous furniture. None of them was made by Mr. Studley nor Mr. Seaton.

Good point. Hagiography is a funny thing.

Fromey":3a61ius6 said:
pedder":3a61ius6 said:

The two people mentioned are not highly regarded. It is the chests associated with them which are so valuable and for different reasons.

To associate these articles with their use by the owners is not the issue, rather the design and contents therein as a historical record.

Jim

I'm gonna have to invest in a new dictionary :D

As a habitual freehand honer through preference I'll not decry others using guides due to the fact both practices get the job done and that's all that matters.

Whilst study of the Studley, Seaton and various other chests definitely helps provide food for thought and historical insight into past toolkits and storage options, there's a definite risk of over emphasis concerning the "we should be doing this" approach. Neither craftsman was well known for his workmanship and IMHO it's a crying shame their only claim to fame amounts to the content of their tool kits.

I'd be far more interested in viewing Sheraton, Hepplewhite, or Chippendale's tool chests in the knowledge their contents were actually used to produce examples of quite astounding landmark work. In spite of their freehand whetting of edges :wink:

GazPal":24h58pd0 said:
I
I'd be far more interested in viewing Sheraton, Hepplewhite, or Chippendale's tool chests in the knowledge their contents were actually used to produce examples of quite astounding landmark work. In spite of their freehand whetting of edges :wink:
Apparently of the three only Chippendale actually made pieces of furniture himself. http://neo-classics.blogspot.co.uk/2010_05_01_archive.html

RogerP":1ef9efpa said:
GazPal":1ef9efpa said:
I

Apparently of the three only Chippendale actually made pieces of furniture himself. http://neo-classics.blogspot.co.uk/2010_05_01_archive.html

Hepplewhite and Sheraton were apprenticed and worked as cabinetmakers. These facts are borne out in articles linked to by the blogspot link you provided.

Studley was a piano and organ maker, employed by the Poole Piano Company of Boston, you won't find much furniture with is name on it, but you don't get employed making pianos and church organs without being a seriously competent craftsman.

Nothing really surprising in his edges (if indeed he was the last person to hone the tools) and Jacob's discrete point that you can make some very nice stuff using freehand honed tools is perfectly valid. It isn't the only way though, and many people now prefer to sharpen their tools differently.

Perhaps it would be more productive to discuss how the tools were used rather than how they were sharpened - that's the bit that's really interesting to learn more about.

Does anyone else on here lap the back of plane irons and chisels?
I was once told that by doing this you can achieve a sharper edge but the chisel/plane iron will need re-sharpening more often.

jimi43":2vtqrk6w said:
Fromey":2vtqrk6w said:
pedder":2vtqrk6w said:

The two people mentioned are not highly regarded. It is the chests associated with them which are so valuable and for different reasons.

To associate these articles with their use by the owners is not the issue, rather the design and contents therein as a historical record.

Jim
Right. So they were doing it wrong then? :lol: :lol:
Actually the only surprise is that someone hasn't taken these tools and sharpened them in strict obedience to the crazy sharpening dogma, destroying the evidence forever!

In fact the 5 points made by Schwarzy represent perfectly normal (and fast and effective) freehand sharpening as practiced by millions. It's the obvious way to do it, if you have just a few oil stones and nothing else.
He calls it back 'polishing' or 'lapping' but it was never quite this, more just the result of turning bladed face down to remove the burr, many times. IMHO the extensive lapping flattening and polishing prescribed by crazy sharpeners is verging on the insane.

Just to remind you:

1. I like a convex bevel. Nearly all of the edges I observed had a slightly convex bevel. A couple tools had evidence of a hollow grind in the middle that was in the process of being removed by sharpening the bevel (making it convex).

2. I like cambered edges on my planes. Nearly every edge of the plane blades (blocks, smoothers, jacks and try) had a cambered cutting edge. Many of the edges were significantly relieved at the corners.

3. I sharpen the entire bevel. Only one tool had any evidence of a micro-bevel.

4. I lap the backs of my irons and chisels. All of the tools in the chest have lapped backs. The lapping is not to a mirror sheen, but there is evidence of significant and continuous work on the backs.

5. I lift my plane irons slightly when I polish the backs. Over and over I saw evidence that the very tip of the back was polished to a higher degree than the metal behind the tip. And (using a machinist straightedge) I could see that the tip of the back was ever-so-slightly dubbed from this polishing. The polishing on the backs was heavier on the bevel-up planes than on the bevel-down planes.

GazPal":34u73lqm said:
RogerP":34u73lqm said:
GazPal":34u73lqm said:
I

Hepplewhite and Sheraton were apprenticed and worked as cabinetmakers. These facts are borne out in articles linked to by the blogspot link you provided.
They all started as cabinet makers but became designers/entrepreneurs/writers. Very conventional careers in that respect. Many producers of things of quality soon cease to be mere woodworkers or any other form of mechanic. Neither Rolls nor Royce spent much of their careers in blue overalls.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Chippendale
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hepplewhite
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Sheraton
All from oop north! In London for the money.

Oh dear..and there was me thinking this might be an intellectual thread...but alas..it's just another thinly veiled attempt to preach the Bevel according to St Jacob. :roll:

And there really must be some more useful information left behind by these two renowned gentlemen...anyone care to suggest anything? :mrgreen:

Jim

jimi43":qd6gbhq9 said:
Oh dear..and there was me thinking this might be an intellectual thread...but alas..it's just another thinly veiled attempt to preach the Bevel according to St Jacob. :roll:

And there really must be some more useful information left behind by these two renowned gentlemen...anyone care to suggest anything? :mrgreen:

Jim
If you want it to be an intellectual thread you have to say something intelligent, instead of being sarcastic and trying to discredit a little bit of evidence (of convex bevels) which you don't happen to like!

There are only two ways, Jacobs way, and the wrong way.

I have told you this before......

Pete

As long as its sharp it doesn't matter how you sharpened it.

Racers":mod934dy said:
There are only two ways, Jacobs way, and the wrong way.

I have told you this before......

Pete

As long as its sharp it doesn't matter how you sharpened it.
We are talking about H O Studley's way. He didn't pick it up from me, I wasn't around in 1838-1925 believe it or not!
It's reasonable to think he was a highly competent woodworker http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_O._Studley and it is quite likely that the sharpening in the chest was his own. It was a tooly enthusiast's chest, not really a practical working tool-box.
I'm surprised that the toolys on here aren't more interested in his sharpening! They have something to learn from an early tooly who was also (unusually) a woodworker.

Regardless of Jacob's agenda, this does provide relatively clear evidence to help validate his thesis that convex bevel sharpening was the predominant sharpening technique in days gone by. It also proves pretty conclusively (given the workmanship of the case, even if you ignore his job) that such sharpening techniques do not negatively effect the work done with edges so honed.

With respect to Henry O. Studley himself, his line of work suggests a very high level of skill, it is also suggested on a website related to the masonic lodge he was part of (see the Mother of Pearl inlay on the lower right of the left hand side of the case...) that he was not just any old employee of the Poole Piano Company, but was responsible for building prototypes and one off organs; suggesting an even higher level of skill... The fact that he's not a cabinetmaker is a bit moot taking that into consideration, In light of how nice the chest is I can almost forgive the failing of not being british :p (He does gain points for hailing from the northeast, even if its the northeast of the wrong country).

Nothing like a well reasoned argument :roll:

Pete

Back