The best way to sell magazines?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverbirch

Established Member
Reaction score
Passing WH Smith`s this morning, I decided I fancied a woodworking magazine to idle away some spare minutes. So, I was glad to see that they had several on display:

Woodworking Plans and Projects (sealed in polythene)
Good Woodworking (ditto)
Woodturning (ditto)
British Woodworking (ditto)
Furniture and Cabinetmaking (ditto)
Having just spent time in Waterstones, where 99% of the books were free of wrappings and therefore available for inspection before purchase,( sadly few woodworking titles among them), I wasn`t about to shell out (over £4 in some cases) for the dubious pleasure of getting my hands on a mag whose contents might well turn out to be c**p upon removing the poly bag. I realise that publishers/advertisers are on a mission to ensure that every woodworker in the land has a copy of the latest Brimarc catalogue, but :roll: :roll:

So that left
Woodcarving Magazine (not really my cup of tea)
Fine Woodworking (already subscribe to the digital edition)
The Woodworker

So, I had a look through The Woodworker. Mmm........ not too bad.

Should I go to the "quick" checkout, which is even more temperamental than I am (and where I usually have to get an assistant to verify my age, cos I`m buying a mag featuring sharp blades and things) or join the large queue of people avoiding the said quick checkouts and fend off offers of cheap chocolate bars and such like from the assistant?
Well, in the end, I decided on the no-cost solution. I would while away the time having a little rant on here instead!

Ian

carlb40":xjpihcr6 said:
Do what i do. Tear off the wrapper, read the mags. Go home :D

I'm amazed, you sound quite proud of your behaviour and find it amusing, do you damage goods in other shops or is it just WHS.

I used to have quite a few mags, but now find that, at the ridiculous prices they are , plus the fact that the insides are all adverts and fake reviews and rubbish projects , I just do all my reading online for free.

I suppose they wrap them up in a bag so you can`t see just how dire some of the content is.That`s surely a pretty short sighted policy in terms of retaining a loyal readership?
I noticed recently one of the magazines was running an A-Z of woodworking running over several months - a real filler item if ever I saw one - and another had articles which I suspect first saw the light of day several years ago.
Yes, I know you can read all you want online these days, but I like a magazine to read now and again!

Ian

I agree, the internets is a great resource but you can beat having a magazine or book in your hands...plus my PC is too big to drag into the bathroom to read during my morning ablutions!!

Back