The Art Of Drawing And Creating Patterns

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in the days when I learned how to make patterns, there was a graphics program called Paint Shop Pro by JASC. It has been subsumed by Corel since those days and replaced by Paint Shop Pro X5. Nevertheless, the program was remarkably similar to the Gimp. An American scroller called Andy Deane wrote a tutorial on how to use PSP to create shadow portraits, and that was how I learned. I see his tutorial is still available here and it would be very easy to adapt it for the latest incarnation of the Gimp. Obviously, PSPs tools are laid out differently from the Gimp so you might have to hunt around for them, but essentially they're very similar.

Anyway, I reckon aspiring pattern designers could do worse than take a peek at Andy's tutorial.

Reading this post is very interesting ,it shows a side of scrolling that I didn't know existed , I'm afraid I will have to stick to buying patterns as IT is not one of my finer points . I have to admire you people for the effort you put into your Hobby or trade which ever the case may be .I would love to be able to explore all these avenues that have been suggested but the auld grey matter does not stretch that far , I wish you all well in your quests and feel privileged to be a member of this forum which shares with one another their ideas .

Eugene has said what I have been thinking,fascinating to be reading about I agree.Will still be buying patterns from Sue Mey and Sheila Landry etc.I know that I am too old to be even thinking about creating a pattern,but agree that it must be very rewarding.

Bryan

Bryan Bennett":l8ewx3df said:
Eugene has said what I have been thinking,fascinating to be reading about I agree.Will still be buying patterns from Sue Mey and Sheila Landry etc.I know that I am too old to be even thinking about creating a pattern,but agree that it must be very rewarding.

Bryan

Thats what i was looking for to post lol!

So thats what is stopping me :shock:

Ted......

Gill":vzjpga5m said:
A number of people have mentioned that they would like to produce scroll saw patterns but they're not very good at drawing. I always regarded myself as a rotten artist too but that didn't deter me from producing patterns! I found that I could use free programs such as the Gimp and Inkscape to adapt photographs, whilst paid-for programs such as CorelDraw could make simple patterns in the style of Steve Good. .

Gill

Thanks for the suggestion of Inkscape. I'd never heard of it before, but have been using a combination of that and WordArt to make lettering patterns.

Jimi

Back