That moment when... (inset hinges)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandyAndy

Established Member
Reaction score
...you're building alcove units and realise you've run out of consealed inset hinges! D'OH! (homer) Do you think it's OK to use normal ones set on beautifully crafted stand-off blocks? I know it's a bit bodgy but I really don't think the customer will care and I don't have time to order in more inset ones! :roll:

Andy

Yep, done it.
Looks a bit better if you put a strip all the way down the sides and along the top like its a stop. And done on purpose.

Was gonna do that but it would hit the shelf so I'd have to notch corners out the shelf which wouldn't look great :roll:. Honestly, one of those jobs... goes along with running out of undercoat when I was sure I had a spare tin in the bag ...and the lid exploding off my glue bottle. =D>

Seems a lot worse if it's a Sunday. Things will seem better in the morning. Go home and have a beer.

Order the right ones tomorrow, be there on tuesday.
unless you are fitting it tomorrow, no excuse.
The job can still be fitted and the doors hung at the end of the day.

Do you think it will look ok, if you do then it's fine, if you need to ask the question on a forum then I suspect it's not ok.

Don't get me wrong, I let things go which I shouldn't. However if it can be sorted easily why not do it right.

Fitted last week (apart from doors), discovered on Fri they're off on holiday on Tues so I have to get it finished tomorrow. Made the doors today, discovered at 3.50pm lack of said hinges. My own stupid fault I know, but thought I had loads of them (hammer) . I think it will look fine - was just after a second opinion really. :)

Can you screw a block on and hang the doors temporarily, and pop back once the client is back from holiday. It's an honest mistake. Or pop into an ironmongery tomorrow on the way and get the proper hinges. A good timber merchant might have them.

Is it painted? Could you line both side cheeks in 18mm leaving it 20 mm back from the front edge. That way you could use normal lay on hinges. I think that would look ok. Nobody is any the wiser.

Inside is fully lined with melamine, outside is painted MDF. Already has the shelf rails and shelf fitted - just not enough hours to re-do all that unfortunately. I'll see how the blocks look and go on a hunt for the hinges after but I'm glossing tomorrow so even if I find them it'll have to wait until they're back from hols... not to mention the holes left in the melamine from where the blocks were screwed in. Hmmm... I'll sleep on it. :)

Well, panic over - Beacon Hardware near town came to the rescue - actually had some inset hinges in stock and didn't take my eyes out in the process! ...unlike pretty much every 'big name' store in the North East. Job done - happy customer. :D

Attachments

• P1060223.JPG
    P1060223.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 77
  • P1060213.JPG
    P1060213.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 77
Oh those. I once bought a pair in Wilkinsons of all places. The range of things they sell is quite surprising.

Wilkinsons sell inset concealed cabinet hinges?!? Defo the inset ones and not the normal overlay ones? If so I'm heading down to buy a truckload! :)

Wilko Cabinet Hinge Concealed Sprung 35mm - £2.99 :shock:

However, at that price, what's the quality like. :?:

I thought I'd mention them because, one day, they might just get someone out of a jam. :D

I actually bought them to replace the hinges on an old flat pack cabinet when the supplied hinges failed, after about 35 years. :lol:

Ah, they're not the inset ones - they're the standard overlay type. Ironmongerydirect do them for 90p ea. The inset ones are like rocking horse **** :). Still useful to know though - I'm impressed they even sell the overlay ones!

Sorry, not being a big user of hinges they looked similar to the picture you posted. :oops:

I thought "inset" simply meant that part of the hinge was set in to the door.

ETA: Ah, so that's the difference between "inset" and "overlay" hinges:

UNDERSTANDING HINGES

I'm quite a big user of hinges and still managed to get them mixed up in my 'hinge bucket' :oops:

Good link btw!

Everyday is a school day. Learnt something new. Thanks for the link. I didn't know there was a difference but makes sense when given some thought.

Back