thanks for the advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsaps

Established Member
Reaction score
thanks to advice from the members (from my previous post) and reviews in the forum, my christmas list is complete.

i thought a good selection to help me get into hand tools more would be

1. a low angle veritas block plane, i'll hold off getting the low angle smoother until i get more used to the whole hand plane thing and will practice with my stanley no 4 1/2 in the meantime
2. the variable burnisher and scraper holder (also veritas)
3. the Ice Bear Waterstone Sharpening Kit from axminster
4. the veritas mark 2 honing guide
5. a dovetail saw to try my luck with hand-cut dovetails (although the little-rat is always there for back-up).. what saw it is to be i haven't decided yet.
6. the good lady may let me push the boat out and get a decent set of chisels, any advice on a good set would be welcome as would sugestions for a dovetail saw

well i hope this will make the transition into the hand tool world a little smoother for me as it's been all power tools so far.
thanks again to everyone for their advice
grant

If $ wil be pushed, perhaps you should consider one of the 2 cheaper sets from LV... one maker is Narex, the other is LV.

Good quality (else LV would not sell them), they may fit the budget and the Narex ones are a set of 8 for @ US$70.

A good set to start off with and you will always need a set of good users, regardless of if you splash out on a more expensive set later.

Just my 2c worth, others will differ and will be able to advise on better sets.
Have fun...

gsaps":2m5x1enr said:
5. a dovetail saw to try my luck with hand-cut dovetails (although the little-rat is always there for back-up).. what saw it is to be i haven't decided yet.

While the Adrias, LN, and MikeW saws are truly beautiful (and will cut DT's nicely) they are far from essential. In truth, cutting normal size DT's does not require a "great" saw, 'net conversations on the subject not withstanding.

If you can find a tool dealer who sharpens saws, you should be able to get a good quality vintage backsaw for around 20-30 quid, ready to go.

Learning to sharpen saws yourself, whilst satisfying and cheap in the long term, is a learning curve too many when you're beginning hand tools.

BugBear

Tilgear do one in they Middlesex range that will get you started and its £14.25+ vat.

I have some gent saws from them and they are fine. :)

Back