Thanks for having me onboard

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walter boy

Reaction score
A bit about myself....?

I've been a scaffolder all my life since I left school at the age of 15yrs.

My hobbies are shooting and tuning Springer air rifles...
Shooting my catapults..
Fishing.....
Camping....
And sharpening my knives.

I also like making stuff in my shed from scrap materials, or adapting and modifying stuff I don't have a use for anymore into something completely different that I HAVE got a use for.

Amongst lots of other things that I get up to when i find the time.

Welcome to the forum.

last week I was on site where scaffolders were removing a pretty big job - It made me appreciate what a seriously physical job it is.

Welcome to the forum.

last week I was on site where scaffolders were removing a pretty big job - It made me appreciate what a seriously physical job it is.
Yes Robin....you're not wrong there mate. The risk of injury in the scaffold game is not just high,....its a certainty. Over the years I've broken both my thumbs, one index finger, a metatarsal in my left foot, had more stitches in my head than a patchwork blanket, and I also dislocated my right shoulder in the 80's when a drunk lorry driver hit me with the Hiab as we were unloading my materials on a job.
But without a shadow of a doubt Robin....? The worst injury I've ever picked up in my long scaffolding career is when I slipped two discs at once in my lower back! That is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
The injury was severe and life changing. It caused irreparable nerve damage in my left leg and I still suffer to this day. But I love my job mate. I always have, and I always will. I'm honestly not looking forward to the day when my body finally tells me that it's time to hang my spanner up for good.

Welcome to the forum. You've certainly had your share of injuries!! I also love to make stuff from scrap materials I hate seeing stuff getting thrown out when it could be re-purposed. Years ago, before council re-cycling, when I went to the dump with stuff, I always came home with more than I went!!

Some time....absolutely no hurry, but could you explain which would be the best scaffolding to get for domestic use? I have an old house and safe access to high places is a real problem, especially as I get older. I have an old steel tube DIY tower, but i need to get to 11m working height and the tower is not high enough. I could hire some scaffolding, but I would prefer to buy used scaffolding and that's where it gets confusing. So many different systems and it's really difficult to know which parts I would need, so difficult to price. Is there one system which would be better for a DIY'er. As I said, absolutely no hurry for the information.

Hello Walter, welcome!

@Sandyn , i may well be getting either kwikstage or cuplok early next year. I found a scaffolding company near me supplies it secondhand and if i send them the length, height etc of the building i want to scaffold, they will spec how much i need and give me a price... you might have someone near you?

Also be good to hear of opinions on those 2 options....

Kev

if i send them the length, height etc of the building i want to scaffold, they will spec how much i need and give me a price.

Thanks. I will have a look for that. I have seen lots of used scaffolding on different websites, but it would be good to have a company put a package together. The kwikstage is a system I had looked at as being DIY 'friendly'

I cant remember which way round it was but i think it was cuplok is a bit more expensive and a bit harder single person, but its galvanised, whereas kwikstage is mild steel but easier on your own....

Latest posts

Back