Thank you Mr Charlesworth

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ByronBlack":1y1oosrn said:
Lord Nibbo - you requested proof:

Some nice thick stock there Byron

You wasted that wood planing the edge, you should have flattened it first :lol: Being serious Byron beech will move something terrible when you size it down to internal stress especially if you rip it, so when you get to face it make sure you do a little off every face and leave it for a week before you face it to the final size. :) :)

Ln wrote:
make sure you do a little off every face and leave it for a week before you face it to the final size.
BB - LN is quite correct, take something off all faces when you machine to the final size. I would be inclined to leave the timber for much longer, say two or three weeks so that it can fully condition before finally bringing down to size. I'll be making another elm cabinet this winter and I have all my timber already cut to rough sizes and part machined to very approximate sizes - Rob

Thanks for the tips regarding machining. That board in the photo most probably won't be used in the project for various reasons so thought it would be a good test candidate for testing the new sharpened blades in el-rusto.

I've sort of done what was suggested today (over in projects forum, I machined a bit off each side of some stock for the trestle feet and will plane these down to final size in a couple of weeks).

Just to clarify, my process should be:

1. Rip to rough dimension
2. Joint one face size and face edge
3. Plane the other two faces to match the amount taken of the previous two faces to balance the stresses
4. leave (in stick??) for a couple of weeks
5. Plane to final thickness

Or should I rip and cross cut to rough dimensions, and then leave for a number of weeks before the stock prep, and then a further couple of weeks after the initial prep for the final sizing?[/img]

ByronBlack":3dhp9p06 said:
Thanks for the tips regarding machining. That board in the photo most probably won't be used in the project for various reasons so thought it would be a good test candidate for testing the new sharpened blades in el-rusto.

I've sort of done what was suggested today (over in projects forum, I machined a bit off each side of some stock for the trestle feet and will plane these down to final size in a couple of weeks).

Just to clarify, my process should be:

1. Rip to rough dimension
2. Joint one face size and face edge
3. Plane the other two faces to match the amount taken of the previous two faces to balance the stresses
4. leave (in stick??) for a couple of weeks
5. Plane to final thickness

Or should I rip and cross cut to rough dimensions, and then leave for a number of weeks before the stock prep, and then a further couple of weeks after the initial prep for the final sizing?[/img]

Yes thats more or less how I would do it, but point 4 I think you will see any movement in a couple of days I don't think a couple of weeks are needed. :lol:

Thanks for clarifying that Nibbo i'll do as you suggest, i'll be following along with your thread earlier this year as it was a nice detailed project, although i'll be chuffed if I can get mine 1 tenth as good as yours turned out.

Er yer missed one thing - crosscut to approximate length or to manageable length (i.e. 3 to 4ft) before starting on the rest of it

Scrit

Back