• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Tenon Saw Sizes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

pitch pine

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just bought another joblot of saws. In it is an I&H Sorby tenon and the blade is 15 inches long. I thought that there were 14 and 16 inch available new but not 15. Is this cut down from a longer saw? Also in the same lot came a lovely 8 inch Robert Sorby dovetail saw with a really comfortable handle.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure catalogues only listed even numbered sizes, so yes, it's likely that your saw has been trimmed down.

I know what you mean about finding a handle that really feels right - it's not something you can see, you need to feel it.

Argus

Established Member
Reaction score
If the standard length was 14 or 16 inches it may well have been an adapted tool-chest-fit for the original owner.

I must confess that my interest in old saws is always enhanced when I see the name "I Sorby".

I bought an absolute beauty about 30-odd years ago from 'Penny-Farthing' in Salisbury. 10 inch plate, I have adapted it to 12 TPI, never any slop in the handle at all and I still use it regularly. More importantly, the pistol-grip handle is such a perfect fit, hand wise, that I used its profile to make a template for subsequent restorations. It has I Sorby 'Northern Tool Works' on the spine.

It must be the thick end of 150 years old.....unusually for a saw of this age there are no marks or pits on the plate. Nor is there a 'Mr Punch' anywhere on the saw.

Sadly, proper tool shops are extinct now but that place was a handy half-way stop to Blandford and you could park in the street outside in those days.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
They're not. They're thin on the ground, but they exist both in real life and on the interwebthingy.
Indeed. At this point it's probably worth posting a link to the useful list on the TATHS site.
I expect it needs an update, but it's a useful list.

Doh! Edited to add link, a day later.

Last edited:

Droogs

Is that chisel shar ... Ow
Reaction score
@Argus You weren't going to Blandford to go up the long hill to school were you?

Latest posts