Ten new planes were born...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pekka Huhta":5lccuv9n said:
It has been a year since the original post, but I thought that it would be nice to update this. I gave another course last weekend, and we got 8 new planes ready during the course. What pleased me the most was that this time we got even more variation on the plane designs, including one razee jointer and a rabbet plane in addition to a variety of different smoothers.

Pekka

Hi Pekka,

thank you for the heads up! Certainly I want more pictures, but I know that as a teacher there isn't much time to take pictures.

Is that an anual meeting? Open to people from other countries???

Cheers
Pedder

Pekka, let me know next time you run one of these courses, I'd rather like to attend if you wouldn't mind a silly Australian speaking broken Finnish at you ;)

Sorry - I have been offline again for quite a while. I did take photos of the individual planes, but will have to find a time to resize and upload all of them to net.

The courses are arranged by an adult education centre Vanajaveden Opisto, they have had me lecturing on hand tolls several times, and this was the second planemaking course I gave. The next course is 14.1.2012 and that is about tool renovation: students will bring in whatever tools they have and we try to see what can be done with them. So I'm expexting that there would be plenty of sharpening, rust removal, maybe making a few new handles and filing an odd saw or two over the weekend etc. Just to give people some basic skills that they can continue restoring tools at home.

But yes, the courses are open for anyone. In fact there seems to be wuite a demand for such courses: last year one guy drove over 200 km every morning and night to attend to the course - imagine driving 800 km to get a plane :) So I would be more than happy to accpet a few German or Australian students as well :D

I'll try to find a time to add the pictures.

Pekka

Kalimna":nefpdz87 said:
However, perhaps it's me, but I think the brass knob looks a little out of place on the wooden body.

Cheers,
Adam
I agree, good looking planes but the brass knob doesn't quite hang together - Rob

Back