Teflon footpads on a workbench ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewC

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to work out a way of making a workbench easier to move around my garage. I'm thinking of ways of using retractable / liftable castors but a parallel train of thought was to maybe use some footpads made of Teflon or perhaps Acetal. I could rebate these into the legs and secure with a countersunk screw.

Anyone tried anything like that ? Obviously it won't be a easy as castors but should make some improvement and is a bit easier to add.

If they don't work out I could always replace them with hardwood pads - or even lignum vitae

Andrew

Is your floor very very flat and smooth? How will you stop the workbench from sliding all over the place? I've not tried it or heard of it in use, so not qualified to say either way. My instinct tells me it won't work.

I used teflon for the bearings on a telescope I built - it is very slippery but only on another smooth surface. I don't think it would work on a garage floor and would probably be ripped to bits.

If you want to move your bench around, I think you will need to use retractable castors of some sort.

Mike

Quality castors with brakes shouldn't move at all. We have these on a air compressed clamping system and when the brakes are on, it does not move an inch.

PTFE (teflon) and other plastics will be useless for this application.
They are too soft and will get grit embedded in the surface and cease to give a low friction effect.
Retracting castors are the best way to go to give you a solid working surface IMHO.
Bob

Shultzy":3vqv3xw1 said:
I was wondering whether an air operated hydraulic system could be used to raise and lower wheels on heavy items like table saws. Is this feasible?

Its definatley possible. Just depends on how much you're willing to pay out.

joiner_sim, I was thinking of a piston at each corner all connected via a 4-way block to a male air-hose connector. Do you think that would be very expensive?

I don't know really. Just sounds like an expensive idea, but definatley a good one if there's a compressor already in the workshop.

So, so far, in my case, this is working very well. I've morticed in a 50x70mm block of white Acetal as a foot pad in each corner. Low enough friction for me to move my bench around but solid enough not to skate away. I should really take a picture but my bench is basically a "half bench", approx 100 x 80 cm with a top made out of two layers of beech stripwood worktop. So not as heavy as a normal bench but too heavy too easily lug around.

Time will tell - perhaps the pads will get grit embedded in the surface and stop working. If it becomes a problem I just unscrew them and slot in some wooden blocks.

For a while I was thinking of using lignae vitum but could not find any suitable small pieces.

Andrew

Shultzy":20vubkxc said:
joiner_sim, I was thinking of a piston at each corner all connected via a 4-way block to a male air-hose connector. Do you think that would be very expensive?

That sounds like the kind of heinously over complicated idea I would come up with, well done!

Aidan

TheTiddles":1soxb39c said:
That sounds like the kind of heinously over complicated idea I would come up with, well done!

My universal weight's 280Kg and although it has wheels attached they are slightly offset from the middle. This make it difficult to move as the balance has to be just right. I had thought of using a mobile base but they are not big enough.

Andrew
I've made a "skateboard" from a piece of ply with four heavy duty castors. When I need to move my bench I slip it under one end of the bench and can then move it by lifting the other end - its useful for moving all sorts of things, too.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Back