Teak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Digit

Established Member
Reaction score
I hate to admit this! It's never happened to me before!
I've got to visit a timber yard to BUY some timber.
Can somebody tell the going rate for Teak in the sort of size I need for out door seat slats?
Sob! Sob!

Roy.

What, no teak in the recycling centre, tsk tsk, :lol: never mind mate, we all have to part with some well earned now and again. :)

Rich.

Teak ain't cheap. Does it absolutely have to be Teak? What are you making?

last time I bought teak it was over £100 cubic foot, but that was on 4" squares. How about using Iroko? or I have been told that some of the pallets made in countries where teak is plentiful are still made from teak. Could that be true, and if so could be a source of recycled teak.

Johnny B

What, no teak in the recycling centre, tsk tsk, Laughing never mind mate, we all have to part with some well earned now and again.
Oh the pain the pain. I know Rich, terrible isn't it.

Been GIVEN some nice wrought iron garden seats, four actually, despite their age the ironwork is perfect but the timber gave up the ghost some time back, so yes wizer, Teak it has to be. I don't intend having to make another set in a few years time.

Roy.

TEAK! TEAK! Hmm, may as well ask for rocking horse manure. Mind you just about any hardwood is like that around my neck of the woods. :cry:

Roy, I have used willow before now, takes a stain and varnish nicely and has a good spring to it.

Rich.

BTW, Norm is quite happy to use cypress.

honestly it will be very very expensive. There are other woods you can use. Any of the Brazilian hardwoods seem to be robust. Something like IPE ?

We have a timber yard in a nearby town that advertises in Yellow pages, but they don't specify what woods they stock.
I think I had better pay them a visit and see what they have to offer.

Roy.

Roy
Dunno which bit of Wales you are in, but round Hereford (OK, I know it's not quite Wales, but it's a lot easier to get to than travelling north south in the Principality!) there used to be a lot of reclamation yards that had excellent reclaimed timbers of all sorts. You might strike lucky if it's within reasonable distance.

roy reclaim yards will cost more than the timber yards,i was quoted £40 a square yard plus vat for pitch pine floor boards.that was in north wales,phone your local timber yards for a quote. hth frank

Thanks fellahs. The last rime I bought timber from a Pukka timber yard was about thirty years ago!

Roy.

As one of the other posts has said iroko is a good alternative to teak and considerably cheaper.

Harry

As I have never visited this local yard I don't know how large it is or yet what they have available. There is no other for miles so it may yet be Hobson's choice.

Roy.

beech1948":1pohitwf said:

The following were suggested to me (for teak faced board but they also do planks):
http://www.robbins.co.uk/mar_lamply.htm

HTH

Miles

Back