tattoo prejudice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Removable? Now that makes a big difference. It then becomes more like having long hair or a ponytail (I'm referring to men now) - you are not stuck with it for good.

K

Just a thought on covering them up for wedding photos. If you want to cover them up then surely that's because they don't look nice in the wedding photos, so that just means they don't look nice? I'd don't like tattoos myself. But I don't mind seeing the odd one on an arm or some girls seem to go for a lower back. It's the excessive tattoos and when they are distracting from the actual person. Ie face, neck and head. I also don't like excessive piercing. I don't mind a belly button or a discrete stud in a nose is just about ok, but after that I find them a little upsetting. Each to their own and if you want to do that sort of thing then that's up to you but don't expect people like me to give you a job. We have over 1000 staff and none of them would have obvious tattoos or excessive piercings. Our staff are public facing (working with children) and it's not an image that would go down well. That is society making that decision but I don't think we are allowed to not employ someone on those grounds.

Intersting comments and the first time Jacob has ever said anything I agree with.......!

I have never wanted to fit in and always taken great pleasure in being different. I also like to challenge the kind of pejudices I have just read here, namely , that if you are tattooed, you are somehow lesser in peoples eyes. Granted, the fact that many shall we say "less socially desirable " people are tattooed, makes it all the more attractive to me.

I was 28 before I started, so it was no youthfull indescretion. I am now approx 60 percent covered in traditional japanese work. I love it, it has never put off any of the women in my life and also never seems to have been a problem with any of my customers or industry professionals I work with. I would not however pierce or tattoo my face and all my work can be easily covered if I want.

Your perogative of course, to think what you like, and there are certainly instances of people who dont know when to stop....but you should not judge someone by their tattoos, and if you do, I think it shows you as somewhat small minded- they are after all, fairly common now, but there is as much bad taste and naffness in tattoos as there is with peoples dress sense and style...........

markturner":2m6t8eaz said:
I have never wanted to fit in and always taken great pleasure in being different. I also like to challenge the kind of pejudices I have just read here, namely , that if you are tattooed, you are somehow lesser in peoples eyes.

Mark, don't you just end up looking the same rather than different? Rather like youngsters who believe they are expressing their individuality by their clothes and end up dressing the same as all their peers.

Also, I can't find any posters who say they find tattooed people lesser and only one who said they would not employ a tattooed person for reasons of public image.

For my part, I simply find them ugly and unnecessary but they do not impact on my assessment of people's capabilities except, perhaps, their judgement.

I'd far rather express my individuality by my words and deeds rather than something as superficial as dress or tattoos.

markturner":1pgzmk6o said:
Granted, the fact that many shall we say "less socially desirable " people are tattooed, makes it all the more attractive to me.

I take the opposite view. When I watch Crimewatch on TV, I'm amazed at how many criminals commit serious crimes and have distinctive tattoos on display while they are committing those crimes. How thick is that :? Rather like robbing a bank and handing over a business card before leaving :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

More cause for concern are the criminals who look anonymous (except for trappings of wealth) and work in banks, finance etc.

I recently took part in some HR and employment regulation training (yeah dull, I know) and the issue of tattoos, piercings and dress/appearance came up. Turns out it is entirely legitimate to discriminate on the basis of these issues if you so desire because all of them are personal choice. This was in the strict sense of disability and discrimination legislation. Thus if you are employing a receptionist you can decide NOT to employ someone with facial tattoos, but you couldn't discriminate against someone with a facial disability for example.

Steve

Air New Zaeland have a policy of "no visible tattoos", which is a bit of a problem for the traditional Maori tattoo on the lower lip (where a goatee beard would be).

I like tattoos (except when really overdone or on the head/face/neck), and think I want one for myself but not sure of what to get. My wife got one on her arm when she was 45 and we both really like it.

I'm rather shocked by the vehemency of opinions against them here. :(

Those who don't sport tattoos seem to be becoming a minority. Just waiting to see a stall at a fair - "Roll up! Roll up! Come and see the lady without any tattoos"!

I spoke to a tattooist acquaintance of mine some 10 years ago and said I wondered if the girls stopped to think what they would look like when they were fat and fifty. He told me it wouldn't matter as by then the country would be full of fat, tattooed fifty year olds.

markturner":2krdlprn said:
Your perogative of course, to think what you like, and there are certainly instances of people who dont know when to stop....but you should not judge someone by their tattoos, and if you do, I think it shows you as somewhat small minded- they are after all, fairly common now, but there is as much bad taste and naffness in tattoos as there is with peoples dress sense and style...........

Thanks to Mark for this post =D>
If I was left to use my own comments I would have been in trouble.

Good to see prejudice is still alive and well

NOT !!!

What's next guys, colour , religion, race, sex or age ?
Stow it and grow up.

I agree, everyone's body is their own to do with what they wish, let them be judged by what they do, not how they look.

The trouble is that everyone always judge people (to some extent) based on their appearance albeit sub-consciously. If they didn't then it would be culturally acceptable to attend a job interview in a string vest and desert wellies! Personally I have nothing whatsoever against tattoos or other forms of body art, but I do think those who wish to practice it need to understand and accept the consequences of the way it might make other people feel about them. As long as they accept there will be some people that associate tattoos with 1960's biker films, ex-cons etc and have the strength of character to laugh at that stereotype then I'm sure they'll be fine.

phil.p":5o6c57h4 said:
I followed a pretty young girl around a supermarket earlier on - she was tattooed from head to foot

Apropos recent threads on people dropping out of the UK Workshop forum, I really thought I'd posted my last here, but...

here I am posting in support of everything Jacob has said in this thread. Jeez, another glass or two of Malbec and I'll probably buy a copy of The Guardian in the morning.

Really, find something important to get worked up about.

Random Orbital Bob":1j87whuw said:
The trouble is that everyone always judge people (to some extent) based on their appearance albeit sub-consciously. ......
In the old days when there were hitch-hikers everywhere (where are they now?) I used to pick up anybody without any discrimination whatsoever. I picked up a heavily built big lad on the A1 - tattoos, leather gear with studs and hells angels stuff, skin head, dirty, no baggage just a potato sack, basically f**in scary.
I asked him how long he'd been standing there and he said two days - nobody would pick him up; he'd been napping intermittently in the nearest field. He was really grateful and a total gent.
He wanted to give me something so I accepted a bit of golden virginia and some papers and that was it.

phil.p":3e8odmyb said:
N0legs, for one I don't see what disliking tattoos has to do with prejudice, for two it's your opinion and you're welcome to it and for three it's unusual to... no I won't go there...

Phil, the topic title ???

I would have thought anyone posting in negative manner in reference to the topic title would be displaying a form of prejudice. Again my own opinion and I am welcome to it.

Back