Taps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get left-hand taps and dies without paying about 5 times the price of the equivalent right-hand version? M6 ideally but I'm thinking it's going to be best to work with whatever I can get

thanks

Aidan

Aidan,

The widest range I know of can be got here http://www.tracytools.com

They have a 200% surcharge for left hand threads.

Although they have a web presence, they are possibly best approached by phone. I have used then since I was at school (quite a few years!) and wholeheartedly recommend them.

Bob

There's 2 local engineering firms to me - who I've always used for sourcing stuff & they are always value for money. I'll give them a ring in the morning - if for curiosity if nothing else.

I have bought stuff from Tracy Tools and RDG both at Shows and over the web.

Both excellent to deal with.

Rod

just rang one of the 2 local firms - RH M6 Tap = 3.16 +vat and a LH M6 Tap = 11.73 +vat.

So whoever said at least a 200% markup was spot on.

So whoever said at least a 200% markup was spot on.

Its was not At Least, Tracys ARE 200% for LH not almost 400% like your quote

Also their taps are quite cheep to start with, can't lay my hands on their catalogue at the moment though.

Jason

TheTiddles":1iktl34m said:
thanks all, looks like I'm going to get fleeced on this one...

Aidan

Supply and demand is all.

BTW, I'm guessing you're making either a bow-saw turnbuckle or a DIY Jorgensen clamp, although that guess may be down to my own ideas as much as yours ;-)

BugBear

TheTiddles":m1qkmhje said:
thanks all, looks like I'm going to get fleeced on this one...

Depending on the shape of whatever it is you are making, could someone with a metalworking lathe thread it for you as a once-off? Might be worth asking around?

By the time someone has ground up an internal threading tool small enough to cut a M6 LH thread it would be as cheap to buy the tap and a lot easier.

Having said that I soon have to make male & female 1/4" x 16tpi square threads, not decided whether to cut the internal or make a tap at the same time I do the external thread.

Jason

jasonB":229locdm said:
By the time someone has ground up an internal threading tool small enough to cut a M6 LH thread it would be as cheap to buy the tap and a lot easier.

Having said that I soon have to make male & female 1/4" x 16tpi square threads, not decided whether to cut the internal or make a tap at the same time I do the external thread.

Jason

Here Here!

I do find it a little strange that some folks (not pointed at you specifically Aidan) will spend several hundred pounds on a plane for one set of tasks and baulk at a few quid for tap. :roll:

Just had a look in my J&L Cataloge HSS Metric Coarse LH taps 7.30 +VAT

Look in their Virtual catalogue page 151

Jason

9fingers":38i8ta4b said:
jasonB":38i8ta4b said:

Jason

Here Here!

I do find it a little strange that some folks (not pointed at you specifically Aidan) will spend several hundred pounds on a plane for one set of tasks and baulk at a few quid for tap. :roll:

Thanks Bob, how are your three workshops? :lol:

Aidan

Hi Aidan,

I only have one workshop for each discipline.

Woodwork
Mechanical Engineering
Electronics.

The engineering machinery does not like sawdust.
The electronics can't cope with oil or dust.
Hence the three shops.

I am contemplating a fourth work area for welding however.

Flames/arcs don't go with wood or oil and my electronics workshop is in the house so a problem with SWMBO if I was welding in there.

Years ago before SWMBO was on the scene, I really wanted to find a workshop with a small flat or living accommodation over the top. Seems far more useful than a house to me.

Bob

Bob she only needs to worry when your engineering gets like this, no its not mine.

00005768.jpg

Jason

Back