Tape Precision

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few years ago now, my wood work teacher told me a story that happened when he was doing his apprentiship.
One of his bosses had gone to measure up a staircase, some distance away, when he arrived he found that he had forgotten his tape measure, the client didnt have one, there were no shops near by and no body else there that might have had one.
So I asked what did he do?
He told me that when the boss arrived back at the workshop he gave the relevent paper work to whoever was going to draw up the plans and do the cutting list, and as he was heading out of the door, he stopped turned round and said "Oh you might need this" then proceded to pull a comb out of his back pocket and threw it at him.
As it turned out all the measurements were in units of Combs and Comb teeth, and the staircase fitted like a glove.

I suppose the moral of the story is don't forget your tape measure as few people carry combs these days.

Dibs-h":2ckjgkhl said:

You guy you mention needs to get out more. :wink:

Dibs

You have a point Dibs, but OCD can escalate into mental and physical cruelty. Sufferers can make others' lives complete Hell. 'Getting out more', might not work.

John

Argus":1gro8yks said:

I incline to the old fashioned idea of making a wooden rod first with all the critical measurements on it marked as a scratch line that a marking knife can conveniently locate itself in.

Jacob lives!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I find I need these things when measuring over 3 feet - up to that one of the steel rules comes out. But the best trick then I think is use the first cut to measure all the others - I don't really care if my cabinet rail is 1668mm or 1670mm, - but they must all be the same, and I'd expect +/- .25mm on that length. Measuring from component to component is good practice I feel, tape measures can't get that close. And obviously the other components come off those initial master dimensions - doors, drawers etc. And before tape measures didn't they use story-sticks (same principle really)?

Latest posts

Back