tabletop support... with a difference.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
I'd like to throw this out to the collective to see what alternatives there may be to my proposed solution...

I've been tasked with coming up with an occasional table design whereby it folds in half to become the top of a bench seat in an octagonal bay window. The table part is straighforward, but there's some doubt as to whether 2 simple removable trestles to support the top is the way forward, aethstetically, and because of the smallish size of the tabletop (approx 2400 x 1200) whether the trestles will interfere with leg room for 6 people.

I thought trestles as they are self supporting, don't require solid attachement, and they are simple to construct.

The tabletop itself will fold in half with the undersides mating flush for rigidity, so there can be no protruding elements on the underside.

Over to you :)

2 days, 214 reads and not a single reply? not even a "that probably sounds like the only real option".

I'm not looking for affirmation I've made the RIGHT choice, but if there is ANOTHER choice one of you may have come across....

I got to be honest, I didn't think much of the trestle idea but I didn't want to sound negative. It sounded a bit clunky and where would you store them when the leaf is folded down? The gate leg solution has been well rehearsed across hundreds of years so why not go that route?

Or am I misunderstanding the design completely? Difficult to tell without a sketch.

Hey, there's not that many actually making furniture, so I'm quietly applauding no matter what it ends up like!

i am struggling to picture what you are looking for. sorry.

We had an idea for this, I'll check with my pal. Think he had a plan, have you the images? Sounds like the same job she sent us, glad she chose you.

Good luck, will look great when done

heh that's more like it :)

@Custard gate leg could be an option, that idea passed me by completely - so that's exactly the input I was after, and don't worry about the possible negativity, you or anyone else, when it comes to making anything I will gladly defer to better more experienced hands :)

Storage of the trestles would have been under her sofa :)

@ dickm & Marcros don't have a sketch sorry but i'll try again:

Lady originally wanted a window bench made in her bay window which has 3 straight sides (half a hexagon).
She then asked about a table being made to fit that area so the window bench then becomes a banquette with seating for 3 more on the other side, BUT she wanted it to "all disappear away" when not in use as the room is small. (of course she does....).

About the only option I and MrMoose (of this forum - incidentally the questions on taking on a subby is about me) could conceive is a foldaway table.

My original idea was to make the tabletop in the shape of a hexagon, hinged in the centre so that it folded flat, face sides out. This would then be placed on top of the banquette seating (cushions removed) to become a flat fronted window seat.

There's been a couple of options considered regarding holding it in place and to stop the leverage potential when sitting on the front edge using small blocks fixed to the wall and turnbuckles.

For the legs, for simplicity I though trestles; easy to make (cost is a factor), fold flat and can go under / behind her sofa. But legroom was a significant factor to be addressed, hence my post. The gate leg option sounds ideal and could be done if I added a central bar the thickness of the gatelegs, so they swing into a central line and the 2 sides fold down, then the whole thing gets used as above.

I'm thinking 1 central post to the floor, with 4 legs swinging off it (hinged). 2 each side with the spars at different heights like a ladder? Or should it be 2 offcentre posts with 2 gates each and leave the centre free?

One concern is reinforcement, would a through mortice with dowels be enough on it's own to prevent racking, even if the spar was 6 - 8 inches deep? The other is weight; adding gatelegs will add to the weight and this lady is "slight" - of course she said she'd only wanted it for entertaining, but I don't wish to make something that becomes a burden to use.

@mahomo I'm not sure we are talking about the same person or project, as this evolved from "just a window seat".

Back