Table surfacing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
Just been quoted £350 for re-surfacing an antique coffee table 5 feet long by 1.5 feet. Very hard bar-top type gloss finish. Quoted that material only in 5 Ltr cans at £250 a can.
What could that be? Is it a realistic quote for top quality work?

Alexam":jd39mdob said:
Quoted that material only in 5 Ltr cans at £250 a can. What could that be?

Mother Theresa's tears?

Presumably, at £250 a can, if they don't use it all, you get to keep what's left.

Hi Malcolm,
Sorry if I’m being a bit obtuse but antique table top and glossy bar top don’t seem to go together?

If it's really an antique, using a finish like that is not a great idea. What are you going to do when it needs refinishing, which it will someday, however hard the finish? I worked for many years as an antique restorer, and one of the things that caused me the most problems (and my clients the most cost) was the inappropriate use of modern adhesives and finishes. I'd go for something like wax, oil or shellac- all reversible and capable of being touched up.

Antique coffee tables do not exist so I am assuming you have a table made in an antique style therefor whatever finish you put on it is not an issue. Their labour charge at £100 seems to be very reasonable especially if they are going to strip the old finish off as well.
There will be many people on this forum that can advise you on bar top finishes if that is what you want but speaking as a French Polisher of 35 plus years I can tell you on my antique dining table I put on four coats of a water based floor varnish with one of those felt pads, left it a few days to go nice and hard then cut it back to 400g, wire wooled then cut back further with Vitashine. It looks french polished but is rock hard and four years on with daily use looks as good as the day I finished it.
I am quite certain you do not need to spend any more than £40 on materials. Mine came to less than a fiver including the sandpaper.

Back