Table Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kieran

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have been looking to buy a table saw for a number of weeks, it will be for hobby use mostly, I have a few projects in mind like some planters and raised beds.

Most online reviews are so different for the same product, it's difficult to trust these reviews.

I can't afford to go to expensive so looking for suggestions around £300.

Any Advice/help apperiacted.

The dewalt 745 goes for between 300 and 400 used and is always talked well of. I've never used one myself mind.

One ends on ebay in about 19 hours but no idea if it's near you.

I have had a number of table saws over the years - A ryobi 1842 gave me great service except after a motor replacement I needed a new switch box and could not get any help on rewiring from anywhere, so had to scrap it. Bought a jobbing saw table on the cheap to finish a project and that got the job done although the standard of the cut was JUST adequate. Finally bit the bullet and got a Bosch GTS 10J and OMG it has changed the quality of my woodworking. Their supplied blade was good but upgraded to Freud blades. This machine cuts accurately, does not need planing after the cut, the fence is spot on square. It is essential that you use a 254mm blade to cut rebates to clear the riving plate. But absolute value for money. If your budget can reach to the XC then go for it, but my GTS10J is the bee's knees.

I did have a GTS10J until I sold it at some time last year (times were tough and I didn't use it often as I didn't really have space to keep it set up). I have to say it was a nice saw but I did have issues getting the fence to lock parralel every time. It may have been how I operated it coupled with the fact that its front and rear locking (like so many are). Since letting it go I have learned to force myself to push forward on a fence to fully engage the front part before locking down and that seems to eliminate the problem.

another vote for the GTS10J - and I too have similar issues with the fence, but combat in the same way with pushing the front forward which squares it up and then locks it - also purchased a freud blade for mine - if I had the space, would have gone for a used second hand saw - but I have to work in. garage that is shared with a car, so it all has to get folded away...

I have the GTS10XC which is pretty good, similar to the GTS10J...kinda

another vote for the GTS10J - and I too have similar issues with the fence, but combat in the same way with pushing the front forward which squares it up and then locks it - also purchased a freud blade for mine - if I had the space, would have gone for a used second hand saw - but I have to work in. garage that is shared with a car, so it all has to get folded away...

Keeping a car in a garage??? That's not what they are for!

I have a DW745 and I've been pretty happy with it. I got it before i had my workshop set up so needed something i could put on a garden table and was great for that. Now i have a 3.5mx2.5m workshop and have built an assembly table with the corner cut out and the saw sits on a plinth below it so its flush-ish with the rest of the bench so i can support wood up to 2m with a crosscut sled.
Biggest complaints are:
- NOISE, its really loud so you need earplugs even for single cross cut
- Mitre gauge is rubbish
- You can only height adjust the front feet so levelling is a pain
- Setting blade mitre angle is a pain as there is no screw thread (just push by hand)

With a sharp blade has plenty of power (but i manly cut 18mm and 36mm birch ply, not 70mm hardwood). Fence is not really long enough for rip cuts >1.5m accurately, so man maths dictates a track saw is also needed :)

Latest posts

Back