Table saw tenoning jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonnyW

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any recommendations for a table saw tenoning jig, for someone who is too lazy to make one for himself?

A varied selection for purchase in the UK there is not (please correct me if I'm wrong). I see Rutlands still do a version for £50, which appears to be exactly the same as the Xcalibur jig currently for sale on eBay.

I do like the look of the Grizzly or Rockler jigs - they look very substantial - but aren't available in the UK.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Jonny

Well I certainly have a recommendation but you'll have to built it yourself!
It knocks socks off the commercial ones. Well I would say that wouldn't I? But I can justify it Fast setup, quick to use and fully guarded.

But by all means pay more and get less if you really want to!
:)
Steve

I have to agree with Steve. His jig is a better choice than the commercially made ones.

OK, I believe you Steve and would never doubt you - I will have a look at your jig once my new bench saw arrives and probably thank myself for not being so lazy.

Thanks guys.

Jonny

Steve

Can DVD tutorials for things like this available in digital form - beleive it or not I don't own a DVD player or even have on on my computer!

At the moment, no. This is all my Series 1 work that I started a decade ago and finished over 4 years ago. I've not got up and running with Series 2 yet, but I am working on it. Video standards today are a generation better than they were when I started and so I have to up my game if I'm nt going to look like a dinosaur. So any new stuff will be online rather than physical media.

However I have no objection to people who buy my DVDs ripping them onto their computers or mobile devices. Of course, I'm dead against them doing so with the view to sharing it with all and sundry! I have to eat and this is how I try to do it. But ripping isn't difficult and provided it is done legitimately, that's fine with me.

I do note that you don't have a DVD drive on your computer. Do you have access to one elsewhere?

otter":f6g0kawl said:
Steve

Can DVD tutorials for things like this available in digital form - beleive it or not I don't own a DVD player or even have on on my computer!

Get someone to copy the DVD onto a USB stick for you, your PC must have a USB socket?

Mike

JonnyW":fam5j9am said:
Anyone have any recommendations for a table saw tenoning jig,.....A varied selection for purchase in the UK there is not
Check carefully if any you do see for sale that they will fit your saw. Most of these jigs are American with imperial slot runners, so may not fit European saw mitre slots.

@Otter: DVD players as add-ons for computers have become pretty cheap. You ought to be able to find one with a USB-3 connection for around 25 quid, incl. shipping (there are literally dozens on Amazon at that price and they all look to be the same hardware). They should be plug+play with almost all operating systems, including Windows MacOS and Linux.

It's well worth having one around, especially if it's a writer too (the writing bit may well need software - depends on what operating system you're running (version of Windows, etc.). You can backup important stuff to it, and that can be really important, especially if you're a small business.

Workwise, I have spent a couple of decades trying to persuade small business people to do regular, effective backups, as part of marketing backup storage. They still don't, and then we get things like this happening. It's fresh in my mind as I read it only this morning. DVDs are a far from perfect choice for this, but they have the huge advantage that, once the backup is made and the DVD is "closed", nothing can change the data.

And you get to watch (a much more svelte and younger) Mr. Maskery strutting his stuff into the bargain, and possibly even a really nifty tablesaw tenon jig. What's not to like?

;-)

E.

PS: The USB-3 thing probably doesn't matter for reading data or copying files from a DVD, but it might for writing and watching BluRay (HD) disks etc. Most of the time you'll probably never notice any difference, so getting a really cheap USB2 one wouldn't be a disaster. Worst case: copy videos to hard disk and watch them from that.

PPS: apologies if I'm telling granny to suck eggs on the backup thing, but I've seen the consequences of not protecting data: some small businesses simply fold as a consequence, and it's so easily preventable.

Eric The Viking":phfoift2 said:
And you get to watch (a much more svelte and younger) Mr. Maskery strutting his stuff into the bargain,

Oi! Are you calling me fat? I'll have you know I am the lowest weight I have been since before I broke my knee, over three years ago. I'm positively disappearing.

Steve Maskery":u4r37x57 said:
Eric The Viking":u4r37x57 said:
And you get to watch (a much more svelte and younger) Mr. Maskery strutting his stuff into the bargain,

Oi! Are you calling me fat? I'll have you know I am the lowest weight I have been since before I broke my knee, over three years ago. I'm positively disappearing.

Sorry, did someone say something? I heard a voice but couldn't see anyone...

... it's the mushrooms I had last night, probably.

Latest posts

Back