Table Saw - Scheppach or Evolution

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthew S

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello there

New DIY Woodworking enthusiasts. Have decided now is the time to purchase a table saw in order to beable to rip and make some more accurate cuts.

My budget is up to 200 UK Pounds.

I've done a lot of research and have come down to either Scheppach 100S or Evolution Fury 5S. From reading reviews it seems that the lower priced items normally have a flimsy fence.

Anyway, my question is really does anyone have much experience with either. Interested to hear opinions and whether to pay the extra for the Evolution Fury 5S who seem (in my opinion) trying to creative a brand and charge more but are actually similar in product quality to the lower prices alternatives.

thanks in advance

Hi there. With the greatest respect, you're not going to get much accuracy on a £200 tablesaw. I'm not trying to knock your budget, just save you from disappointment if you have high expectations of accuracy.

The fence is one of the key components of an accurate tablesaw, and you're not going to get a decent fence on a saw until you hit roughly £500+

What is it you're looking to get from a tablesaw? Have you considered a track saw instead? You can get a lot of bang for your buck with a track saw

You'll get by with the Scheppach or Evolution, but accuracy and repeatability are not their stronger points. See what the second hand market has on offer, you never know...Look for something with a cast iron top and an induction motor.

thanks for your answer. I already have an Evolution sliding mitre saw which gives fairly accurate cuts.

My main reason for going to a table saw (and yes my budget is limited) is for more accurate ripping as my hand circular saw (also evolutuion) cannot achieve this.

Actually I had never considered a track saw and now I have a few question

1) Is track saw and plunge saw the same thing
2) Can I just buy a track rail and use with my Evolution Circular saw or is a Track Saw a different saw in design

Thanks again

Don't go down the cheap table saw route, I did and it was junk.
Save up and buy a decent site saw if you don't have too much space.
I've got a Dewalt DW745 and it's great.
You can pick them up second hand for a decent price as well.

I have the Scheppach HS105 (about £40 over your budget), and am happy with it. As others have mentioned, you won't get a very accurate saw in this price range.

The fence on the Scheppach HS105 is good enough. It clamps both ends and slides easily (when you get the knack of it). The mitre gauge as with any saw of this range is sloppy. However, you can spend £6 on ebay and upgrade the mitre bar to an adjustable one and then it's good enough.

There are LOADS of cheap table saws that are utter rubbish in the £100 to £200 range. However, I think this saws is a good compromise.

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Sch ... -Table-Saw

scheppach-hs105-t100929.html

A plunge saw may be a track saw or not; a track saw will plunge. You'll have to look at the description.

You can make a track for your saw fairly easily even if it is not designed for it but a saw that has the base designed for it will obviously be better. Lidl produce one for I think it was £50 - Peter Millard gave it a decent review on Youtube - and you can go all the way up to a Festool/Mafell costing double your budget.

They're fantastic for sheet goods - way better than anything but an expensive sliding table saw. But they're really not that good ripping narrow stock.

If I was stuck to £200 I'd definitely be looking for a clean 2nd hand site saw or go down the track saw route.

Matthew S":3w8pwalj said:
thanks for your answer. I already have an Evolution sliding mitre saw which gives fairly accurate cuts.

My main reason for going to a table saw (and yes my budget is limited) is for more accurate ripping as my hand circular saw (also evolutuion) cannot achieve this.

Actually I had never considered a track saw and now I have a few question

1) Is track saw and plunge saw the same thing
2) Can I just buy a track rail and use with my Evolution Circular saw or is a Track Saw a different saw in design

Thanks again

The fundamental difference between a circular saw and a track saw its that the base of the track saw its designed to slot into the rail. This means you can place the rail along a pencil line on the wood, and you know that the saw will cut precisely along that line. With decent tracks, you don't even need to clamp the track to the wood, it can just sit on it and the rubber fingers on the bottom of the track stop it from moving.

This allows you to make perfectly straight cuts with minimal set up

The fundamental difference between a circular saw and a track saw its that the base of the track saw its designed to slot into the rail. This means you can place the rail along a pencil line on the wood, and you know that the saw will cut precisely along that line. With decent tracks, you don't even need to clamp the track to the wood, it can just sit on it and the rubber fingers on the bottom of the track stop it from moving.

This allows you to make perfectly straight cuts with minimal set up

Thanks....sorry if I was to buy something like the Kreg Accu-Cut which is should fit onto my Evolution Circular Saw then I'm likely to be good to go and from the responses here would likely get similar accurate cuts compared to a sub 200 Pound Tabelsaw

Latest posts

Back