Table Saw problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Kelly

Reaction score
I have just inherited a Scheppach table saw (site saw, really, I suppose), and I've got a problem or two with it.

It's an oldish one, but the motor is fine, the table is fine, it has been fitted with a new guard, and it even has a good blade BUT...

The blade rise / fall adjustment doesn't work. On this particular model, the blade and motor are mounted on a pair of guide rods, via a pair of metal bushings on each rod and everything should move up and down on these rods. However, the bushings have seized themselves to the rods.

Other than penetrating oil and heat (not simultaneously!) does anyone have any other suggestions to free it off? Chucking it out and getting a new one isn't an option - I'm potless and this is the only tablesaw I'll ever get!

Hi Mitch,

Welcome to the forum.

Had a similar problem two years ago with a site saw similar to yours. I took the whole mechnism appart and had the bushings pressed off, cleaned them and the rods up with a metal file and sandpaper, put the whole lot back and havent had a problem since.

Let us know where you are and someone could possibly help.

Staffie

penetrating oil is a good place to start once you break the rust seal and get a small movement the oil will get things moving .It may be possible with some dismantling to twist the rods in the bushings. There must be some screw method to raise/lower this may be choked with sawdust etc wire brush and oil should help

Thanks for the advice so far - I'm in North Yorks, for information.

The thread-based bit of the adjustment is fine, in so far as I've got THAT to pieces successfully and freed it off. Once I can free these blasted bushings I can reassemble the adjusting wheel, and with two tack welds, it'll be as good as new!

Actually getting the rods out to press the bushes off looks very tricky. The rods disappear into a pressed-steel section, and are somehow attached inside - can't see how, it looks like the pods were fitted THEN the sheet metal work was done...

I'll keep on with the penetrating oil, and threaten it with the gas axe!

Hi Mitch, Welcome to the forum.

In my biking days, to unseize the pistons in the barrels we use diesel. worked great.

Hope this is of some help.

Hello Mitch, Welcome to the forum.
I have a sheppach site saw tku, had it about 5 years. After removing the motor If you turn the table upside down the whole of the mechanism can be removed from the table by removing two screws. You can then get at the rods easier to free them up.The rods are only held in with circlips,one at the top of one and one at the bottom of the other. If you remove these and after using WD or similar you should be able to drive them out.

I have the instruction book such that it is, shows exploded drawings etc, if you send me a PM with your address I could scan you a copy if it would be of any help.

Alan.

Well, I'm not sure if this is really the place, but...

I've proven the old engineer's adage, that with time. patience and an endless supply of oil, anything is possible! I finally managed to get the last rod / bushing combination apart yesterday. The bushes are a bit graunched up on the outside, but it's only cosmetic, and a clean suggests the rods can be remediated, with time, patience and an infinite supply of emery cloth!

Thanks for the help and encouragement - I'll soon be table sawing!

M

Back