Table saw needed for small workshop. Got a budget of £500.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swestldn

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've been working for my uncle in his modest workshop for a few years now as his apprentice "cabinet maker-gofer." I've been making a few pieces out of reclaimed materials on the side i.e coffee table's, tv cabinets etc and they are very popular with the Hooray Henrys and their ever deepening pockets lol. I've rented a small workshop from a friend and now I need to fill it. My question is this, what is the best table saw I can buy for around £500? I will not be going on site so weight isn't an issue.

Thanks in advance for all your comments and they will be greatly appreciated.

James

Unless you buy used, I wouldn't think you could get a quality saw for £500.00. So why not consider a Festool track saw, and parallel guides instead of a table-saw? They are quality I assure you and they can perform quite a range of tasks for which you might turn to a table-saw.

Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ogABL8nAI

Much depends on what you want to do with a table-saw. If it's to make sheet goods easier to work with, then the You-tube video will show you what the Festool track-saw can do. For around £500.00 you could buy that system; especially as Festool now allow firms to discount. (So I am told.) You could even use the track saw to put a straight-edge on wide planks, up to the maximum depth of cut of course.

I don't have room for any kind of table-saw, so I use the Festool system as a substitute. Any joints I might cut on a table-saw, can just as easily be cut with hand tools, or with other power-tools, such as a router. So I don't miss a table-saw as much as I thought I would.

HTH :)

It seems like a good alternative mate thanks for that. Although I did see a Dewalt DW 746XJ for a very reasonable price yesterday and I've got enough space for it. What do you reckon?

swestldn":12e4rdvk said:
It seems like a good alternative mate thanks for that. Although I did see a Dewalt DW 746XJ for a very reasonable price yesterday and I've got enough space for it. What do you reckon?

Should be fine. I'm happy enough with most DeWalt stuff. I have two of their 18v drills! Plus a router or two.
The Bosch table saw looks good, for its type, but it's also over £500.00

A friend of mine has a DeWalt up and over saw (A mitre-saw that converts to a small table saw.) He swears by it. Also I cut some perfectly acceptable cross-halving joints with it, in a temporary burial cross.

You pays yer money and you takes yer choice I reckon. :D

Good Luck whatever way you go.

Why not go old and heavy, I paid less than £500 for my wadkin dimension saw and theirs not much that can come close to it.
Mark

Sorry I should've said that it's single phase. I'm really looking to go down the olden but a gooden route. Thanks for your help everyone and i'll let you know how I got on. Have a good christmas chaps.

:ho2

wallace":2zjroaoz said:
Why not go old and heavy, I paid less than £500 for my wadkin dimension saw and theirs not much that can come close to it.
Mark

Quite agree. I just got the impression that maybe resources precluded such a purchase! For sure, the resources I lack are space; and maybe strength to lump around cast iron components. My stamina is failing too quickly! With age comes wisdom, they say. They never mentioned the walking stick tho'!
:D

Back