Table saw issue - run capacitor?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Farm Labourer

Established Member
Reaction score
I was running my table saw today. Stopped it, adjusted the depth of cut and pressed the green button on the NVR. It span up but as soon as I released the button when unit at full speed, it died.

I think it's probably the run capacitor but just wanted to check with the learned on here. 240V 1Ph.

TIA

The run cap keeps the auxiliary (“start”) winding in play to improve torque. A bad one shouldn’t prevent the motor from spinning.

Sounds more like your starter switch is not holding ‘on’. It’s not normal to have to hold it on until the motor is at speed.

What happens when you press ‘on’ now?

Did it over heat, were you working it hard.

Mine will do that if worked hard, but returns to normal when allowed to cool down.

1615925701035.png

This is a typical starter. When you press the START button, contactor M is energised and one of it's contacts (in this case M wires 2 and 3) closes which allows you to release your finger on the START button, it's called a "retaining contact". In your case it sounds like the retaining contact is faulty.

Hi Farm/L,
Just last week my Scheppack planer decided to simply "purr" and not start. I rang Power Tool Spares and spoke to Alex, he suggested it was likely the capacitor and send him a photo. He didn't have one in stock but ordered one to come direct. This all happened within hours, I was soon up and running again.
I post this (from just south of you) in recommendation of [email protected] to anyone looking for friendly affordable help.

Latest posts

Back