Table saw choice / sliding carriage vs SCMS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew

Established Member
Reaction score
Figured it's finally time to upgrade my table saw - a Fox 8", a Kity 419 clone, I think - I bought it cheap ages ago and it's been useful but I do need something with a bit more power and accuracy.

Will probably go for a Charnwood W650, Axminster AW10BSB2, or perhaps Record TS250C (which seems very similar to the Charnwood but a bit more spendy). Lots of helpful info and tips on these machines here, so thanks to the posters - but a couple of specifics:

One main gripe with my small saw is the rip fence; it's not that solid or easy to adjust. The above saws all seem to have a decent fence, with micro-adjust (which would be a boon) - but the Axminster seems to be more solid/deluxe - has anyone tried both?

The other is with the carriage. My Fox came with one, but I put it aside fairly soon - it got in the way in my small workshop, and I used my SCMS - a Dewalt DW707 for crosscuts. That's why the lack of carriage on the Axminster doesn't bother me too much - the 707 is a great machine; very rigid and accurate. But either of the suggested machines would need more space than now and something may have to go - could the Charnwood's carriage replace my 707, and would I miss anything about it?

Just to keep you going tip someone else comes along :) I have a strong dislike for table saws so I brought a really good SCMS and do all my ripping / board work with a track saw. Seems to work ok for me.

Grahamshed":1rrgsu98 said:
Just to keep you going tip someone else comes along :) I have a strong dislike for table saws so I brought a really good SCMS and do all my ripping / board work with a track saw. Seems to work ok for me.

Thanks for the reply :) Actually, I had thought of that - the 707 is great and I've used a Festool 55 with track which is also a great tool - I'd maybe go that route if I was mainly doing sheets, but I'm quite often ripping narrow sawn planks and the like too, which I'd have a job to securely attach a rail to... although I'm sure you can get creative with it!

Yes, you do have to get creative sometimes and there are obviously things you cannot do.... I just hate table saws :)

carlb40":3ehhasko said:
How about a bandsaw and SCMS? at least then you can do deep rips, thin rips, curves etc

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... 1b-bandsaw

Aha, another good idea - I do actually have a relatively small bandsaw, a Metabo 317 - it's handy and I use it quite often, although not essential. My impression is that I would need a very substantial upgrade to that to let it cut eg thick hardwood as easily as a table saw will - and may still not get the same clean edge that I'd get from a circular saw blade? Also the narrow cut width for the times I cut sheets makes me think a TS is still the most versatile... but admittedly I've not used a very beefy bandsaw.

I think you are right in that the quality of a table saw cut will always beat that of a band saw.

I guess like with both BS/ TS the blade will have a lot of say in the final finish from the saw. :)

Latest posts

Back