Table Saw Blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am looking at getting a new blade for my SIP 10" table saw. I do a mixture of ripping and cross cutting. I am looking for something that will make a fine cut with minimal tear out.

Just wondering whish brand people would recommend. Also would 60 teeth be enough or would you recommend more?

Cheers

Hi Jim

Any combination blade is a compromise in terms of performance - a crosscut will never be an outstanding performer in ripping, whilst a rip saw will never crosscut all that well. That said I've been reasonably happy with a 48 tooth (on 12 inch) blade by Omas (sold by APTC in the UK). Possibly the 10 inch version (with 40 to 42 teeth?) will be as good. Anyone care to comment?

Scrit

although i have not seen them recently, i found that a cmt blade works well in my Dw744.

good finish on mdc and veneered mdf also.
paul :wink:

Like Tony, I use a Freud blade but with 60 teeth, makes it slow for ripping but great for crosscutting, and the ripping is fine as long as you take your time.

Freud will drill blades for you as you will need a 25.4mm (1") bore as has been said before, or you can buy the reducing bushes from Axminster that will take the standard 30mm bore down to the correct size.

chisel":10b0xdmp said:
Freud will drill blades for you as you will need a 25.4mm (1") bore as has been said before, or you can buy the reducing bushes from Axminster that will take the standard 30mm bore down to the correct size.

Hi Chisel

Interested in this comment. I have a 5/8 bore machine and I have not been able to find 5/8 bore Freud blades outside of the US. Are you saying they will custom make for a single user ?

Thanks Jeff

Another vote for the Freud 40 tooth from me. Crosscuts with a good finish and rips OK as long as you don't try to go too fast.

John

Mdotflorida":37aj4iut said:
chisel":37aj4iut said:

Hi Chisel

Interested in this comment. I have a 5/8 bore machine and I have not been able to find 5/8 bore Freud blades outside of the US. Are you saying they will custom make for a single user ?

Thanks Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I bought a blade from them at a show last year, think it was the D&M show at Kempton Park, and the guy said they would drill one out to the right size and ship it on to me, which they did within a few days.

I wasn't charged any extra for the service either and got a massive discount on the blade as well so was well chuffed :D

I guess they probably do it on request if you ask, but would think you need to contact Freud directly rather than use a reseller who will probably only stock the standard 30mm bore blades.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Does anyone use a blade with a reducing bush? If so does it cause any specific problems?

I've been happily using a 12" Freud combination rip/crosscut blade in my Wadkin AGS with a Trend reducing bush (30mm-1inch) for a few months now. Have had no problems. I think problems result if the saw flanges are not of sufficiently large diameter to grip the blade, or if the bush is so thick as to keep the flanges from gripping the blade. Neither of those ocurred in my case.

Another vote for the freud blade here.

Like tiger says you should be ok as long as the flange is big enough to grip the actual blade, rather than just gripping the bush.

Matt.

Back