Table saw advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColinP

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello, just joined today.

After about 15 years out of woodwork I'm in the process of setting up a small workshop again. I was a cabinet maker for most of my working life, my shop was kitted out with re manufactured Wadkin from Dalton's in Nottingham. My needs were different then and I had a lot more space but having spent most of my working life with nice kit I'm a bit spoilt

Anyway I would like to buy a small table saw mostly for ripping laminates for guitar necks out of 2" stock probably of a maximum size of 48" x 12, this will be as a hobby in my retirement. My workshop is quite restricted so I'd like a small saw, I have no need for extension tables or sliding tables as they will just get in the way. In an ideal world I'd like a cabinet saw like the Axminster AW10BSB but it will need sliding out into the centre of the workshop each time it will be used. The other option would be a site saw like one of the DeWalt or Bosch offerings. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, the Axminster would be heavy and has a rise and fall quirk (not the end of the world), the site saws have no winder for the tilt which I find hard to imagine using for small angle changes. Is that type of angle change a real compromise or am I worrying over nothing? The reduction in weight, the smaller footprint and the option of putting on a storage cabinet are attractive.

Thanks for any advice you could give me

Have you looked at the TS200-2 or Ts250-2 on the axminster website? I would take this over a site saw any day of the week to be honest.

They need a bit of fettling but are great for what they are, don't cost the earth and have a good induction motor on them. Ideal really for what you need. Plus if there are ever any issues axminster have amazing customer service!

Thanks, I'd discounted the TS250 as it will only cur 200mm without the table extension which makes it only 30mm smaller than the Itech 01332 or the AW10BSB with the extension tables, although quite a bit lighter. Are the tables on the TS250 an easy replace and remove, as in I could put them on and take them off as needed?

The extension table on the TS250 also has the longer front and back guides for the fence attached to it, if I remember correctly it has six bolts for the guides and another three for the extension table to main saw table, so not an easy removal, also the fence guides will still be the length of both tables with the extension table removed, so not a proposition IMO, but don't discount making your own extension flap on the side of the main table.

Have a look at the manual: http://www.axminster.co.uk/media/downlo ... manual.pdf

Mike

It looks like it would be a bit of a pain. I'm starting to think that the AW10BSB with the standard side table and no rear table might well be the best option for me. At 184Kg it will be very heavy to pull out and turn 90 degrees every time I want to use it which it the huge attraction of a site saw, oh the joys of a small workshop!

ColinP":pvx0tc4j said:
Thanks, I'd discounted the TS250 as it will only cur 200mm without the table extension which makes it only 30mm smaller than the Itech 01332 or the AW10BSB with the extension tables, although quite a bit lighter. Are the tables on the TS250 an easy replace and remove, as in I could put them on and take them off as needed?

Not sure if I read that right but the TS250 with the extension table makes it about the same width as the AW10 standard. It will also rip wider in that configuration (unless you get the AW10 extensions which make it wider than the TS250 with extensions). The info for the AW10 I think might be a bit confusing as it comes with a side table as standard which is included in its spec for rip width.

Clear as mud :)

TS 250 is 1030mm wide with the extension table fitted, the AW10 is 610mm wide as standard and 840mm wide with the optional table kit fitted. so comparing the two as I read ColinP's post the TS250 will be wider than the AW10 by 190mm, but £300.00 cheaper approximatly.

Mike

Why do the footprint dimensions on Axminsters site for the TS250 say its 1040mm wide with extension then?

Also the footprint for the AW10 is 1000mm wide with the standard side table and fence.

Aha! I thought width would be left to right as you are standing in front of the saw for use. Sounds like you are talking about the other side which I would've called the depth.

Its all very confusing on the site to comprehend what the table size would be with extensions, the overal table size of the TS250 is 670 x 430 the extension table is 600mm so I think that means the overal table size would be 670 x 1030.

For some reason beyond my fathoming Axminster use length and width instead of depth and width, perhaps they thought we would confuse depth with height. :roll:

Mike

It doesn't include the side slide. That's another 650mm. According to the footprint info anyway. Obviously I haven't got one otherwise I'd just measure it.

As far as I can see, half of this confusion will be because Axminsters dimensions in the spec are completely different from if you look at the footprint document linked to on the same page (which is where my info is from).

Pike I think my first post was slightly wrong, the beauty of this forum is you can edit indefinitely and save face. :oops:

Mike

MikeJhn":15m1fmx4 said:
Pike I think my first post was slightly wrong, the beauty of this forum is you can edit indefinitely and save face. :oops:

Mike

That's cheating ;-) and makes my comments look like I'm talking with myself :?

I will reread. I am assuming the footprint info is correct and the dimensions on the main page are wrong. In which case, what I've said stands.

In the inevitable words of CJ "I didn't get where I am today without ................" :ho2

Don't forget you can edit your posts as well. =D>

Mike

Colin, if you happen to bother reading all of this..

If you've been confused as I have with the specs on the site. The TS250 might be a bit smaller than you think in comparison to the AW10 (to achieve similar rip capacity). Even with the extension table which isn't easy enough to only put on when you need it.

Shame they can't do an extendable fence like on some site saws.

If you're considering the Bosch or Dewalt, then this recommendation maybe a bit on the cheap side, but I am happy with my Scheppach HS105, considering what I paid for it.

This may be of help scheppach-hs105-t100929.html

But I'd always recommend seeing these types of purchases in person to get a feel for them

ColinP":2tjbnndf said:
A good option might be the Scheppach Precisa 3.0 (Kity) without the slider, but with the right extension table. I saw this one at the Harrogate show recently. The right side table folds easily, and with it sitting on a rolling machine base you could easily move it out and flip up the extension table.

Other features are micro adjust fence (which works really well) + induction motor and cast iron table.

It is pricey, but I have seen it for around £1k without the sliding table.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Back