Table planer.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
only problem is that it only does the one job, what are you going to do
about the thicknessing part of the job?????

charnwood are not too bad, although i have not used one, and in fact
have a mafell ad160 which is a planer thicknesser, but there is also another
one around for about 300 quid which does 6x4 and may be more effective.

paul :wink:

the sip 01497 has good review in practical woodworking mag
Specifications for this fabulous SIP 6" x 4" planer / thicknesser are;

Cast aluminium machine surface table tops - For accurate planing of long lengths of timber
Maximum capacity 152mm (6") x 100mm (4") suitable for many applications
Powerful 1500 watt 2 HP motor - For long reliable life
Automatic power feed rollers - For consistent smooth and reliable finish
Outfeed extension table - To handle large pieces of timber in thicknessing mode
Jointer bed length of 660mm
Thicknesser bed length 355mm
Dust extraction port adaptor (100mm)
2 push blocks
Adjustable 90 degree to 45 degree surface planing fence - For square and chamfered planing
No volt release switch - For added safety
Anti vibration feet
A 2 year manufacturers warranty for added peace of mind.
See it here on ebay
i went for seperates
metabo thicknesser dh330 seems a very good machine have yet to buy my jointer(planer)

OMW! never noticed it isn't a thicknesser. What a plonker! Thanks for the link Prawnking looks like I need to up my budget a little.

I like making tables. Made a garden table ( 6' x 3' ) for my brother from 3x3 fence posts and decking planks. Very sturdy, very heavy, last for years. Was in my front garden awaiting pick-up when a women stopped and asked where I bought it. "I made it" says I" Is it for sale?" Well......umm. We settled on £100. Brother was none too pleased. :p

Thanks for your help.

NaSa - welcome to the forum :D

And I must admit,I admire your sense of opportunism (£100 - sold!) :wink:

Andrew

same sort of thing i like doing ie: garden furniture, planters etc not quite good enough yet for household furniture.
what type of planer is going to be based on what size timber you want to plane maninly, i only know this because i spent almost 2 weeks reading reviews and forums thats what i summed up in the end. each planer or thicknesser has good and bad points like i said i went for the metabo dh330 still trying to decide on jointer though :)

Because of the cost of timber and me being a noob at WW Iv'e been using pine. As you know joining this rubbish timber from DIY stores is a nightmare so I "slat" the table top.

This is the exciting bit. My dream is to make my own chess board. My neighbour aged 77 ( who has a shed full of hardwoods ) will give me a block of Ebony which is over 20yrs old ( Still has the sale ticket on it, £5 ) approx., size 9"x2"x3" waxed. Also, he has a hardwood, which he can't remember the name of that is almost white. If I can show him 64 perfect squares of any timber he will give it to me FREE! :shock: for my board. It will take me sometime to achive this but I will do it. He could do it with hand tools.

NaSa,

If there is one bit of kit I would not do without, it is a decent planer/thicknesser - or if I had the space, separates. In my book it is more useful than any other piece of machinery I have. Accurate planing requires more skill and energy than sawing and it takes a lot of hard, skilled work to make things of any size without powered help. IIWY, I would try and find the cash for a bigger and better unit.

This thread has got me thinking a bit :-k , as I dont own a planer/thicknesser I do most of my thicknessing on the bandsaw then hand plane the cut edges.

What I'm thinking (and it may be a dumb idea (homer), would it work if i was to buy just the planer and continue to do thicknessing on the bandsaw. I realise that the bandsaw would not be as quick as a thicknessing machine but other than that is there any other reason not to do it this way?

Mark

I agree with Chris (Waterhead) about the P/T. I started out with a small cheap unit of around the specification you are looking at and regretted it very quickly as the tables are too short and the 6" width soon becomes limiting.

I would suggest a short wait unitl an SIP 10" wide P/T is affordable would be well worth it

Back