Table for inside of Yacht

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guyforks

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks.
I’ve got to make a little table up out of solid Ash for inside a yacht as per pic.
Its 900 long x 580 at one end and 220 (all mm) at the other and 30mm thick.
One long side has a slight radius on it.
So my thinking was to lay out the wood in a triangle so as to avoid lots of end grain on the radius showing up but now I’m thinking that if this swells at the back along the widest section it will pull the front apart.
The wood is Ash and at 11% mc. My thinking is the boat is unheated and quite damp so there's going to be quite a bit of movement.
Any thoughts?
Regards
Glynn.

Attachments

• ChinTable01M.jpg
    ChinTable01M.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 165
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    162.6 KB · Views: 165
Ash is probably one of the more unsuitable timbers for a marine environment, but if that's what has been specified then don't go down the solid route. A core of decent marine ply, laminated with thick ash veneers (about 6 mm thick) both sides and lipped with solid ash would be much more stable. Bond everything with epoxy (Gurit SP106 or the West equivalent, thickened with microfibres). A vacuum bag press would be ideal, along with an electric blanket if you're glueing up in a cold workshop.

Latest posts

Back