T5 Refurb

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Have just this afternoon started the refurb of my old Record T5 as shown in the first pic:

168432d1r-1.jpg

Second shot shows bits of it broken down and all the old lacquer/paint stripped off, castings are fresh from SWIMBO's hair dryer :shock: after having been nuked under the pressure washer:

lslflflfl.jpg

The T5 will have a Clifton blade and new polished cap iron with a Derek of Oz style bolt. Haven't yet decided on the timber for the tote and turned handles, have to see what I've got in the 'shop, I think I've got some suitable bits of english walnut, cherry and mahogany....will have to have a little delve :wink: The mouth has been opened up a bit on this one but there's still loads of adjustment left 'specially as a 3.1mm thick cutter is being fitted. This one will be finished to the same standard as the avatar Record No4 (the No4 started off looking the same way :( ) and I'm going to flog it on the Bay, unless anyone on the forum wants a 'Woodbloke Special' for a reasonably extortionate sum :D - Rob

sold????? huh? that was under the radar!! If you ever get another Rob, drop me a pm as i've been after one for ages, I used to have one a while back and really liked it, great plane to use on the shooting board!

I wrote:
unless anyone on the forum wants a 'Woodbloke Special' for a reasonably extortionate sum - Rob
BB - I think that's reasonably clear, if you wanted it then a PM would have been in order asap :wink:.......have PM'd you - Rob

woodbloke":3isf68vi said:
I wrote:
unless anyone on the forum wants a 'Woodbloke Special' for a reasonably extortionate sum - Rob
BB - I think that's reasonably clear, if you wanted it then a PM would have been in order asap :wink:.......have PM'd you - Rob

Alas, I must not have seen the thread quick enough! Obviously been too busy agonising over bandsaw v tablesaw to think clearly :)

Cheers Rob!

ByronBlack":2xtcyvs0 said:
sold????? huh? that was under the radar!! If you ever get another Rob, drop me a pm as i've been after one for ages, I used to have one a while back and really liked it, great plane to use on the shooting board!

I own one, and I don't think it's any where near the ultimate shooting board plane. I tend to use a #06 most of the time.

Of course, I don't own a #9, or a Philly low angle special, or a Philly skewed shooter, or a LV LA Jack, all of which (AFAIK) are excellent shooters.

Whilst the #T05 has a side handle, which is helpful, it has none of the other features that help easy shooting (low angle blade, skewed blade, mass, length)

BugBear

BB I didn't mean to allude that it's the 'ultimate' shooting board plane, I have used and owned one for a while and always got excellent 'enough' results for me, no doubt for cranky grain or difficult timbers some of the ones you mentioned would be a good choice, but for me the T5 is a very nice versatile plane - not only for the shooting board either. And there' cheaper than most of the ones you mentioned which is a big consideration :)

But each to their own :)

Remember why it was made - not just as a shooter, but as a plane for schools/tech colleges, and as such it had to be sturdier (or more damage resistant) than a woodie and easy to handle with small hands/biceps. The larger cheeks were partly for that reason, and the extra weight helped in general situations where a Jack was needed. That is probably why so many show up with no side handle.

BB

Fear not, a #9 is far better on the shooting board. I carried out the same mod as woodbloke shows above a couple of years ago and it was great, the best I thought! Until I gtot a #9 and experienced a revelation. Gave the old 'shooter' away then :lol:

Have done a bit more on the T5 refurb. Casting and frog have now been cleaned up to 240g, the person buying the plane has specified English Walnut for the totes and handles, these have been roughly cut and turned to size, the smaller cylinder will be for the side handle and the big one will be for a decent chunky front knob:

LAALDKD.jpg

Only 400,600,800 and 1000g to go :( ......and then I've got to start on all the fiddly bits :cry: :wink: - Rob

already proping it up on a stick! and it has'nt even got a blade yet :D

i can imagine how to get the flat areas cleaned up but how have you doen the rest?

Tom

Hi Rob

Looking very nice!

Can I ask a question which may seem really stupid :roll: - did you use paint stripper to remove the old japanning? I have an old Stanley No 6 which I am intending on bringing back to life and that is the first job.

Cheers

Karl

Karl - yup, a good going over with some Nirtomoors or similar. Gloop it on nice and thick, leave it for about 30mins and then blast under the pressure washer. Plane body will be refinished with two coats of Smoothrite enamel. I was lucky enough to buy tin which is pretty much the correct colour for Record planes - Rob

Latest posts

Back