T.E. Arnold V-groove plane...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeW

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone hear/read/know by osmosis a T.E. Arnold? Plane was from Britain.

I have what appears to be a very well made V-groove woodie stamped on the end and top with said name. Not a typical maker's mark, but a rather well done set of letter stamps.

A different name appears on the side. Plane and wedge look like they are made from Mahogany.

Original blade is gone and in its place someone, maybe the second named person on the plane, reshaped a tapered a triangular saw file into a blade. Fairly well done. Of course, if use made, the triangular file concept could have been original to the plane.

Plane body, on the lower portion, is tapered to a V-shape to a 35 degree 'V'. Plane body is 8" in length, 3" in height.

Here are a few pictures. The iron--a triangular saw file that's been reshaped--is bedded at 70 degrees.

v-groove_0001.jpg

v-groove_0002.jpg

v-groove_0003.jpg

v-groove_0004.jpg

Last picture shows how the bed for the iron is shaped to fit the "iron's" back.

Take care, Mike

Nice plane, Mike. Interesting - 70 degree pitch??
Looks like a home made one to me, although I stand to be corrected :wink:
Where are you finding these goodies?
Cheers
Philly :D

Hi Phil, unless I hear otherwise my assumption is a well user-made plane. Nice bit of chamfering, but with "soft" edges.

The bedding is high. Makes me wonder why it was chosen. Because of how well the plane was made, my assumption on that is Arnold knew what he wanted for his purpose. Tried it on some interlocking grain in both Bubinga and Mahogany and works very well.

And the tool, being that it is made from Mahogany, shows it had been well used. Boxwood on the bottom would have been more wear resistant. May well build that in if I use it enough.

I find them on your side of the pond, of course. I have seen one v-groove plane on this side. It was as worthless as so many woodies I see are. Seems like so many were stored in damp basements or barns when they no longer had use. My theory is that on your side, molding planes were used longer. I think too, y'all have had a better sense of history. Pretty naive and misguided romantic notion, huh? :lol:

Take care, Mike

Mike
I see plenty of useless, abused woodies. So not just on your side of the pond :wink:
The high pitch - if it works, great! Just makes you wonder what made the maker use such an angle.
Cheers
Phil :D

MikeW":2s1b9fwv said:
Hi Phil, unless I hear otherwise my assumption is a well user-made plane. Nice bit of chamfering, but with "soft" edges.

The bedding is high. Makes me wonder why it was chosen. Because of how well the plane was made, my assumption on that is Arnold knew what he wanted for his purpose. Tried it on some interlocking grain in both Bubinga and Mahogany and works very well.

And the tool, being that it is made from Mahogany, shows it had been well used. Boxwood on the bottom would have been more wear resistant. May well build that in if I use it enough.

Hmm (the pictures gone, BTW)

http://nika.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu/~cswi ... 67#message

Summary - these planes don't work... !

BugBear

I suppose it depends on what the tool is purposed for, eh?

I don't think it is made for cutting a deep V. That it is steep pitched seems to indicate cross-grain ability, though your OT message indicates yours didn't work well.

My quicky done trial showed this one did work, for at least as deep as I went.

Seems funny these planes are recorded to having been made, that Whelan et al describe them, you and I at least have had one--if they didn't work. But, perhaps once I do use it in earnest on a project I too will be ready to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Take care, Mike

Back