Sywell visit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gav

Established Member
Reaction score
Went over to the sywell open day today as it was not to far and thought I'd share my thoughts.

I did go last year to their first one and I noticed a number of changes this year. They themselves now seem to hold a wider range of items including a good range of turning blanks. There was also some boards as well as can be seem from builderchad's tiger oak thread.

There was a number of tool suppliers demonstrating their wares with a good range of items.

Chestnut were demonstrating graduated staining of turned items, an interesting technique which I think i will have a go at when a piece doesn't come out with the figure I was hoping for.

The staff seemed very helpful. I wanted some knobs they had on display but they didn't have enough stock out. They were quite happy to go off and look through their stock they had put away to make space for the show for just a 3 pound sale.

There were several people selling old tools at the tool bazaar, not sure how well they were doing.

Living only 40 miles away and it being free to enter I thought it was worth going. Especially as SWMBO came along and then positively encouraged me to buy a couple of items when I was dithering as to if I could justify spending any more money at this time.

Gav

Sigh Sywell is over for another year :(

Had a good visit today, the open day is substantially bigger than last year and the staff are just as helpful as I remember them :) The feeling I get at Sywell is the one I wished I got at most of the woodworking shows which I guess is why a lot of the shows are on the way down while Sywell is on the up. Thankyou the staff at Sywell for another job well done. =D>

Charnwood, Jet, Trend and Triton were all demonstrating as well as a couple of pyromaniacs. There was a chap who challenged me to break the joint he'd just made and even smiled when I handed him the back the two seperate pieces of wood. (hammer)

Gloats: 2 Bessey K100 clamps for £15 each, and a set of 6 Marples carving tools for £11

Had a look at the timber prices and decided I must reinforce my woodstore as it's contents must be worth a fortune :p

Dennis

Hi Jorden
I was there too :)
I was the other guy selling tools ( with the red top ), hopefully next we can say hello :)
I think you looked at some of mine too

I was there on Saturday selling my excess Triton kit and a few other pieces - I sold 80% of what I took - about 20% after I had packed up( due to some rain and most leaving for the football) and I had gone to help on the Triton stand and also demonstrating my mini cyclone. People just came up to me and asked if I still had that item.

The show was quieter than last year but was held over two days this time but most demonstrators were very helpful and had time for people.

Hi Colin

We really need a method of identifying each other at these events don't we :)

So it was your shoulder plane I was looking at?

Dennis

Yes it was
I was thinking that we could have a small poster for all to to print out for the shows and a small badge maybe :-k

Back