Sycamore HF

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
Back to the colour work, it's been a little while since I did a colour piece and this little HF was pretty bland as far as any grain pattern was concerned, so it was ideal, in a way, for colouring. I have taken on board (I think it was you Dalboy) the advice to try a rounded opening, I do like it too, though it was more challenging to work and finish than I thought it would be.

Colours are Chestnut Spirit Stains, Finish is Chestnuts spray acrylic sanding sealer and satin lacquer buffed to a high gloss with the 3 wheel system.

It is pretty difficult to properly represent these high gloss finishes in a photo, I can only say that the overall finish is exactly like the shiniest bit you can see in each picture.

Few more pics on the blog.

SHF-2.jpg

SHF-4.jpg

SHF-6.jpg

SHF-7.jpg

Hells Bells that sure is shiny! I can see my face reflected off it from the screen.

I like the shape and although I'm not normally a coloured wood fan, I like what you've done and I like the inclusion / broken bit that shows it is actually wood.

What size is it?

Cheers

Greg

Lovely finish. I agree it does look better with the rounded rim. It seems to make it look more finished.

Those darker colours certainly form the perfect background to show the gloss off to perfection, they do of course provide a very unforgiving platform for finishing technique, you must be a real glutton for punishment and potential frustration.

That is one very nice piece and as for the colour and finish they are top notch And not a easy job to achieve as CHJ said with ref to the form being dark in colour. I can remember the piece that I made the comment on about rounding over the edge to the hole, it makes it appear a lot thinner than it is.

Now that is going to cost you master class on colouring :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now that I have seen what can be done with the three wheel system I have a long way to go :roll:

I have absolutely no idea what colours they are Kim but I really like the shape and patterning on it.
and the opening is just right.

What a stunning looking piece of work, the shape, the bark inclusion, the finish and the colour can't be faulted.

Vic

I appreciate the comments folks, many thanks!

CHJ":1q5ghthu said:
Those darker colours certainly form the perfect background to show the gloss off to perfection, they do of course provide a very unforgiving platform for finishing technique, you must be a real glutton for punishment and potential frustration.

Believe me Chas, I dread the frustration, which looms large with astonishing regularity. Only this morning it popped up with yet another surprising lesson and, of course an equally disastrous consequence.

I have been working on a large hollow sphere, a good 9 or 10 inches across in spalted beech, again, poor grain and spalt pattern indicated I should colour it. I had reached the stage of applying the initial finish lacquer coats and slightly oversprayed a spot, to avoid a run is the lacquer, I turn the lathe on to run very slow, this keeps the patch flat, but the lathe was running backwards, I thought nothing of it, but half an hour later when I returned, the chucked had screwed itself off the headstock and the entire assembly was on the floor, scratched, dented and severely cracked to the equivalent of a compound fracture, requiring very careful work with a carving chisel and a hammer!

You learn something new everyday.

I think I may be able to recover it, frustration aplenty. :)

The above form is about 5 inches across.

Grahamshed":1d2iytnk said:
I have absolutely no idea what colours they are Kim but I really like the shape and patterning on it.
and the opening is just right.

Thanks Graham, the colours are a dark blue which fades to a bright electric blue on the smooth side, the bark inclusion (which I do like, it looks like a bit of old leather) is a very dark blue to purple background overlaid with a deep red which picks up the highlight areas of the wood, near the base the blue blends to a small green patch. That might help you picture it a bit at least.

A really beautiful piece of work and one that makes me envious of your expertise!

That high gloss finish is perfectly correct in this instance.

Agreeing with Dalboy I feel you should share your colouring techniques?

Well done!

Regards, Peter.

CHJ":1qd459g4 said:
petercharlesfagg":1qd459g4 said:
...Agreeing with Dalboy I feel you should share your colouring techniques?

http://www.quest42.co.uk/woodwork/forum ... hnique.pdf

Thankyou for the link it will prove useful. The only thing that stops me from leaping into the world of staining is my acute colour-blindness especially in the Reds/Greens!

I have purchased stains from several manufacturers but as yet have not had the courage to try!

Thanks again, regards, Peter.

petercharlesfagg":1m815tzp said:
Thankyou for the link it will prove useful. The only thing that stops me from leaping into the world of staining is my acute colour-blindness
Thanks again, regards, Peter.
Yep, Its a right PITA isn't it ?

that is so shiny I had to put dark glasses on what a nice finish shape is perfect and the colouring contrasts the form well you just keep so consistent cant fault it something id be proud of =D> =D> =D> =D>
kind regards
Bill

Back