switch wiring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodsworth

Established Member
Reaction score
I am changing over a three phase drill press into a single phased one. The switch plate on the three phase one is round and has a very nice switch and kind of goes with the old medding. I was wondering if there was a way of wiring the switch to use it with the single phase motor.

The switch on the single phase one is plasticy square and naff while the medding one looks robust and in keeping with the machine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Any pictures mate?

In my experience you can use a switch for either if wired correctly and the current rating is ok.

Each pole on the 3 phase switch will be rated to take a maximum current...as long as the single phase motor you are replacing the three phase one does not pull more current it should be ok to wire the switch for 1PH

Jim

The current switch will be a 3 pole on/off with three inputs and three outputs going to the the 3 phase motor.

Connect the single phase live to one input and the neutral to another input.
Leave the third one alone.

Connect the motor to the two outputs related to the the inputs you have used. leave the third output alone too.

HTH

Bob

drillpress.jpg

The drill press with new motor.

drillpressswitch.jpg

The switch not a good picture but only a 2 mega pixy cam on the phone.

Thanks for your replies. I had a tinker with it today not seeing these replies before i left for work and got it running using L1 and L3 and the ground. I hope that is right and safe? I did try leaving the L3 alone and only using L1 and L2 but nothing happened.

Should be fine using any combination of 2 L's from the three.

If it works then fine.

Don't pass the earth through the switch EVER. The earth lead should go to the body of the machine and then onto the motor via the other wiring to the motor.

Bob

I didn't connect the earth to one of the poles it has an earth pole connected to the switch housing which is grounded to the machine i suppose. I appreciate your advice as i hate electrics.

Where did you get the single phase motor from ww?

I am still trying to replace my one at minimal cost...will probably go for one of the manager's specials they have at Axminster in the end....but if I can find a secondhand one suitable somewhere all well and good.

Jim

jimi43":fbxfx823 said:

I am still trying to replace my one at minimal cost...will probably go for one of the manager's specials they have at Axminster in the end....but if I can find a secondhand one suitable somewhere all well and good.

Jim

What power/frame size do you need Jim? Frame size is the distance from the mounting plane to the centre of the shaft.

Bob

9fingers":2yrm3ofs said:
jimi43":2yrm3ofs said:

Jim

What power/frame size do you need Jim? Frame size is the distance from the mounting plane to the centre of the shaft.

Bob

Hi Bob

It's:

DSC_0368.JPG

It's one of those cheap Sealey thingies..90mm between mounting holes wide...112mm between mounting holes top bottom.

EDIT...oh and the mounting plate is 90mm from centre of shaft.

I spoke to Sealey and they said it would be cheaper to buy a new drill!

It is definitely shorting in the winding. P*&ssed me off because it was only £20 at a bootfair and was working fine up until now....

I don't do much drill press work so it is fairly underused but a vital part of the guitar making work.

Know of anywhere I can get one mate?

Jim

I have a newtool drill press that the quill? has play in so i robbed the motor off it. I need to get a chuck key for it now, does anyone know what size or what it might be called?

woodsworth":2c662w4y said:
I have a newtool drill press that the quill? has play in so i robbed the motor off it. I need to get a chuck key for it now, does anyone know what size or what it might be called?

Chronos sell the keys and almost always the diameter of the spigot will lead you to the correct key. measure carefully allowing for it being either metric or imperial and possibly worn.

http://tinyurl.com/y879wv5

Bob

hmmm what would i be measuring? I didn't know there were so many types of chucks. I thought drill presses would be all the same.

woodsworth":2evtm19q said:
hmmm what would i be measuring? I didn't know there were so many types of chucks. I thought drill presses would be all the same.

The key spigot (hole) - which is what i said earlier.

With drill chucks commonly varying between 1/4" to 5/8" capacity how are they going to have common keys?

Bob

Latest posts

Back