Switch connection advice please

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought a second hand machine but the motor only runs if I hold the "On" button in. The machine has had a new switch fitted but I suspect it may have been connected incorrectly. Don't want to buy another switch unless the existing one is faulty, rather than wrongly connected.

The electrical supply from the plug is connected to the two end spades on the right hand side of the switch in the picture, the load is connected to the two central spades, nothing is connected to the narrow side spade. I assume this narrow spade should be connected to lock the switch on until the stop button is pressed. How can I test the switch and what should that narrow spade be connected to please?

Attachments

• Switch.jpg
    Switch.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 0
My guess is that the line enters on the right as you have it, that the live side is the one where the narrow terminal is (top in the picture), and the load (keeping the same polarity) exits the left pair of spades but with a bridge wire from the live side there to the narrow spade to energise the coil.

Pushing the red stop button should cut the supply and release the coil. Take care.

My guess is that the line enters on the right as you have it, that the live side is the one where the narrow terminal is (top in the picture), and the load (keeping the same polarity) exits the left pair of spades but with a bridge wire from the live side there to the narrow spade to energise the coil.

Pushing the red stop button should cut the supply and release the coil. Take care.
^^^ this sounds right, but the terminals on the switch should be numbered to correspond with the diagram.

Check this, or post a pic and we’ll have a look.

Usually:
L in - 13
N in - 23

L out-14 + spur to small spade.
N out-24

Just looked up this switch and concur with guineafowl21's wiring. The additional contact is so you can daisy-chain additional press-to-break emergency stops to the NVR. If you don't have any wire A1 back to 24 as well.

Thanks guys.

The numbering on the switch is:
L in - 3
N in - 1

L out-4
N out-2

Narrow spade - A1

So, not the same as suggested above, but I guess it makes no difference as the function appears to be the same.

Putting a meter across the spade connectors, apart from the logical continuity from 3 to 4 and from 1 to 2 when the on switch was pressed but not when it was released, I found continuity between A1 and 4 whether the on switch was pressed or not.

If I wire A1 back to (24/2), the neutral out, would you expect that to energize the coil when I press the on switch, or just cause a short circuit between the live out and the neutral out?

Yes, wire A1 back to 2. You want the coil to be energised at the same time as the load, the two should be in parallel since both are designed for the full voltage by themselves.

Um - A1 to L out, = 4, surely ...
That connects both sides of the coil to the same point. The continuity between A1 and 4 (live out) is through the coil - a multimeter will show a resistance there of probably several kilohms. To energise the coil the other end needs to go to neutral out 2.

Thank you again, I will connect it that way and give it a try!

Yes MCT, I fish and we had a place in France until recently. The name came from a couple of local anglers I used to fish with occasionally.

Thank you again, I will connect it that way and give it a try!

Yes MCT, I fish and we had a place in France until recently. The name came from a couple of local anglers I used to fish with occasionally.
Brilliant, love it :) What a shame you don't have the French place any more. What a beautiful country. My mate lives between the Alps in the winter and the Basque / Atlantic coast of France in the summer, lives the life of riley he does.

Well, I connected the switch as suggested and the motor ran when I pressed start, ran without holding the button in, then it stopped when I pressed the stop button. SUCCESS!

MANY THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

Brilliant, love it :) What a shame you don't have the French place any more. What a beautiful country. My mate lives between the Alps in the winter and the Basque / Atlantic coast of France in the summer, lives the life of riley he does.
We are sad about that too. The house was in Collioure, where the Pyrenees meet the Med, absolutely stunning place and a great way of life. We were going to retire there until we found meeting the residency requirements post Brexit was too much of a challenge for us.
Still looking on the bright side, we now live where Snowdonia meets the sea. A bit cooler and damper than Collioure but still fabulous!

ps, and the fishing is better :)

We are sad about that too. The house was in Collioure, where the Pyrenees meet the Med, absolutely stunning place and a great way of life. We were going to retire there until we found meeting the residency requirements post Brexit was too much of a challenge for us.
Still looking on the bright side, we now live where Snowdonia meets the sea. A bit cooler and damper than Collioure but still fabulous!

ps, and the fishing is better :)
Amazing! Bloody Brexit (don't anyone start!) hey grrrrrrr! Wow, sounds an amazing place in France but you seem to have a decent alternative in Wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Ps - You'll like Bob and Paul go fishing then? ;)

Back