Suspected electrical problem on router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mister S

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

While using my router inverted in the router table today, I noticed something strange. The router plate it's attached to is anodised aluminium, and when I ran my fingers over the surface, I felt a slight vibration/tingling (when the router was switched off but still plugged in). Suspicions aroused, I experimented a bit, and found (router not running in all cases) :

If I run my finger over the router plate with the router plugged in there is a very faint tingle.
When it is switched off at the mains, no tingle.
If I touch the body of the router, either switched on or off, there is no tingle.

Having accidentally found a more sensitive test method - the cut on my finger (don't ask) - which stings rather than tingles, there is a problem with the router casing when it is switched on.

The setup is in the garage, with a dedicated RCD in the house for the garage circuit.

Is this some sort of leakage from the mains supply that isn't large enough to trigger the RCD? I know the RCD trips when I switch too much on simultaneously, so I assume it's working ok.

Any ideas what this is, and most importantly, is it safe?

Steve

As a point of note:

I quote:
A residual-current device (RCD), or residual-current circuit breaker (RCCB), is an electrical wiring device that disconnects a circuit whenever it detects that the electric current is not balanced between the energized conductor and the return neutral conductor. Such an imbalance may indicate current leakage through the body of a person who is grounded and accidentally touching the energized part of the circuit. A lethal shock can result from these conditions. RCCBs are designed to disconnect quickly enough to prevent injury caused by such shocks. They are not intended to provide protection against overcurrent (overload) or short-circuit conditions.

From your comment about overloading it may be that, rather than an RCD, you have an overload trip , which will NOT protect you if your router is not properly insulated. As mentioned above - get it checked!

Having said that, I've experienced similar tingles when touching the metal on touch-sensitive light switches or dimmers.

Don

sounds like some dust has carbonised in side, try giving it a darn good clean

Thanks for the replies guys.

I was pretty much sure that I would need to get it checked out properly. It only came back from Bosch about a month ago having had a new switch fitted , so I've assumed they would have checked it out before returning it. But maybe not.

I'll give it a good clean out where I can get to with the dust extractor and see if that helps. If not I'll get it checked out, but not by Bosch this time.

Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back