Suppliers of Oak

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluezephyr

Established Member
Reaction score
Ive been asked today if i can make one of my dressers exactly the same way in oak, Ive used american white before so i would prefer to use this.
As oak isnt something i use alot of and i dont want too much excess and waste, suggestions for a supplier who can do small quantities of PAR, Beaded TGV (customer stated no veneered MDF) 18/21mm thick laminated sheets 450m wide in 1500 or 3000mm lengths.

Also will need the cornice molding and knobs aswell.
5294_103959756761_524656761_2152780_7552659_n.jpg

Can anybody help?

+1 for kesteven components if its not too far. They're just down the road from me very helpful people and the prices arent too shaby either.

13eightyfour":369znwrm said:
+1 for kesteven components if its not too far. They're just down the road from me very helpful people and the prices arent too shaby either.

They have everything i need and seems easy enough to order from them, just hope the customer isnt put off with the prices, too many people wanting solid oak for import or argos prices!.
A few weeks ago my trade customer delivered a 48" pine glazed dresser in a sort of oak shaker style, along with a 48" 6' tall bookcase to match, the price was about £800, on delivery the customer said, "i thought it was oak",
customer didnt mention material choice when ordering (and sold in a pine shop too!), and the price should have told them different!

Unfortunately oak has become the new pine to a large extent.

Some of the prices I have seen for perfectly nice pieces such as you describe imported from China are unbelievable. I can supply a dresser and bookcase in solid oak for less than a grand from an importer I use in Cheshire - so this customer wasn't too far off the mark.

Unfortunately the argument 'Ah, but this one is hand-made in England while that one is mass produced in China' washes with no-one these days. Nobody cares about that - the price is all that matters.

Why do you think I use a lot of veneered MDF and do mainly fitted or custom sized furniture?

BradNaylor":nbe81oz6 said:
Why do you think I use a lot of veneered MDF ?

You dont like splinters? :wink:

Luckily not everybody is a price buyer, The ones who still want handmade in the uk are out there but not as many as used to be. this customer cant find what he wants amongst the shops full of the same looking stuff.

I have contacts in China now who would help alot in trying to import, has this been done to death now do you think? have the big boys cornered the market?

Latest posts

Back