PAR Oak or rough sawn - + storage?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noodle

Reaction score
Hi All,

Im starting a lot of fairly simple internal oak joinery projects on our house renovation. Mainly cladding boxing out and some simple shelving etc, nothing too fancy. Biscuit jointing probably being the most complex its going to get!!

Ive read a lot of topics on here regarding buying PAR vs rough sawn and buying a planer/thicknesser which i haven't got at the mo. I'm looking @ getting approx 200 linear meters of approx 20mm*140mm oak boards ( for cladding and biscuit jointing for shelves). Am tempted by the rough sawn route but seems the cheap planer thicknesses have very varied reviews to put it mildly and cant find any 2nd hand in my local area (devon).

Ive been quoted £1150+VAT for K/D white amercian oak PAR, or £1140 inc VAT for K/D european oak PAR to approx those dims which would obviously take alot of the effort out. Do these sound reasonable?

What would I be looking to get enough rough sawn 1" instead? If im spending say £500/£600 min on a planer thicknesser (record 260 or sheppach 2.0?) then the rough sawn has be pretty cheap to make it worthwhile this time! obviously would then have one for future use but how long would squaring and planing 200m of oak plank take!!?

Ive heard some concerns that PAR can still be cupped/ twisted etc when delivered when brought into a house? Is this a really prolem when most my work will be simple cladding?

How best to store K/D PAR oak in the mean time while im working my way through the project to use 200 meters worth!? which could be a couple of months to avoid any further warping etc?.Hopefully this all makes sense.

Any advice/ thoughts greatly appreciated.

You need to buy more than you need, there is always some wastage, I would go for European oak it's much nicer to my eye.
You will need some where under cover to store it stacked with stickers between the planks, and you will need to bring it indoors for a couple of weeks to acclimatise before you use it.
As to buying a planer its up to you, will you use it after the work is done? and don't forget the time it will take to plane all the boards, get rid of the sawdust etc.

Pete

Back