Suppliers for 5/8" shank hollow mortice chisels?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jw00d

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've recently picked up a small Delta morticer second hand but it appears it takes 5/8" shank chisels. I've scoured the interweb for a few hours trying to find some here with no luck so I wanted to see if anyone knew of a UK supplier? They seem plentiful over in US/Canada but wanted to see if I can find some here before I investigate getting some shipped over from Lee Valley etc and paying import duties.

Cheers,
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

I've got a delta morticer too. I think it might be easier to get a bushing collar made up to fit commonly available chisels rather than seeking out purpose made chisels from the states. Here is a pic of my machine:

Jamie, I have a small Rexon morticer that came with a sleeve that I have no use for. It may or may not fit, but if you email me your address I'll post it to you - phil.pascoe at sky.com. - obviously you have to put that back together. :D

Thanks Memzey, I hadn't thought of that - I'll have a look to see if theres a way to push the old bushing out so it could be bored out.

I think I must have an earlier model as my fence doesn't have a cutout for the hold down.

Jamie

phil.p":23tvvuyn said:
Jamie, I have a small Rexon morticer that came with a sleeve that I have no use for. It may or may not fit, but if you email me your address I'll post it to you - phil.pascoe at sky.com. - obviously you have to put that back together. :D

Thanks for the offer Phil but from what I've found on my search most chisels seem to be 3/4" shank so that would mean I need a bigger hole not smaller (I think!)...

Jamie

No worries Jamie. I think my one is the 14-651 but it won't be too different to yours. FWIW I found the standard chisels and augers that came with it pretty good actually, once they had been properly sharpened. The bushing is dead easy to remove. You just need to completely unscrew the grub screw visible at the front of the machine, the one below the door that swings open to give you access to the chuck. Just backing it off as you would do to change a chisel won't do, you must basically take out. The bushing (which has a hole in it for said grub screw to pass through) should the drop out but might need some persuasion if it's a bit gummed up in there. To sharpen the chisels; Axminster sell a little kit which is pretty good (apart from the diamond lapping plate which is pants - I just use my regular oil stones for that).

Does anyone know where you can buy a 3/4in bush? I have the same problem with my Metabo/Lurem MB12 machine. Thanks, Iain

Thanks for the links Mike. I have contacted the companies and asked if they sell a 3/4in bush.

Iain

Back