Supplier for Egger products?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ByronBlack

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good reliable supplier of egger products that can deliver?

Basically i'm after one of the large sheets of 'decor' range - this is for my desk project. Clicky

Also, does anyone have any user-experience of these products, they look very good quality, but I can't seem to find prices or thickness sizes - i'm looking for around 25mm or 30mm

OR if anyone has links to other sheet material suppliers doing sheets of veneer chipboard/ply or mdf, would prefer the first two. I've already looked at SL Hardwoods, but didn't see what I needed...

Apologies if these are stupid questions, bu I want to get my product selection right for this project, i'm pretty much settled on using tulipwood for the legs and frame of the desk, just need to sort out the top.

They seem to be sold through direct Wholesale - try some of these guys in the South East. I haven't used it myself (not my line) - but the results certainly look good.

Egger South East

I used to use tulipwood for all my painted furniture, but its so soft, dents and scratches really easily, I would use a harder timber instead.

I'm not sure what colour you want, but beech, oak, maple are all good hard woods that will take a knock, I just feel tulipwood legs will look a bit bashed around in a years time.

Richard Russelstock the Eggar board, I've had it from them before. Or they can get any of their other products in a couple of days.

The problems with beech and maple is that they do not take stain too evenly, what about sapele. Oak woul dalso be OK, ive stained that very dark with vandyke crystals before or you could have a go at fuming.

Jason

Thanks for the link Jason.

I've worked with Sapele before, and tried to stain it but got very patchy results - probably more due to my lack of finishing skills. Fuming sounds quite complicated :(

After sleeping on it, I think I will stick with Tulipwood, afterall cost is one of the main factors with this project. I'll most probably use Rustins Plastic Coating to give it a really strong finish, the top itself will be maple veneer, and i'll probably using Rustins on that aswell, although if I go the egger route, it looks like their products already have a 'worktop' range of finishes..

Byron the finish on the egger boards is much thinner than a worktop think more along the lines of a wood grained conti board but better quality.But it will not need any other finish.

Actually you could probably just use a maple effect laminate worktop and either lip it or get one with a postformed edge.

Jason

I recently had veneered MDF from:

Panel Supplies (UK) plc
Harvey Road - Basildon - Essex - SS13 1ES
Tel - (44) 1 268 729100 Fax - (44) 1 268 729700

I only needed one sheet so I had to collect - delivery would have been too expensive. They were very helpful and the price was the best I found in the southed/basildon area.

They do MDF/ply/chipboard etc.

There was also another BIG supplier in Basildon. I can't find the name at the moment.

ByronBlack":1fkn8yii said:
Does anyone know of a good reliable supplier of egger products that can deliver?

Basically i'm after one of the large sheets of 'decor' range - this is for my desk project. Clicky

Coincidentally, I've been looking for a supplier in East Anglia for this type of product. I'm about to contact Edens who have a depot near me, but are based in Barking. They may be worth a try.

Dave

Byron

The way to get 25 or 30mm is to use an 18mm top with a built-up edge. The weight of 30mm (i.e. cheap worktop thickness) is enormous and completely impracticable for furniture.

Just felt that I should point out that a large (i.e. a "jumbo") board of MFC or MF-MDF is around about 2.6/2.8 x 2.0 metres and weighs a heck of a lot! It is a two man operation to move one of these boards, so it's best to find a trade outlet who offer a cutting service (not all do because trade shops tend to have their own breaking-down equipment). You can get 8 x 4s (2440 x 1220) but the range of available colours is very limited. Veneered stock is generally available in the smaller size as a norm.

As for delivery, most trade places will only deliver FoC on orders over £150 up here, so be prepared to pay £20 to £40 for a small delivery if the merchant is prepared tom deliver to a domestic address - they simply can't get a 16 or 24 tonne lorry up a narrow domestic street so many merchants won't entertain you for a single sheet.

Scrit

Jason, Scrit - thanks for all the info and tips. Buying these products to a private address is quite a tricky operation!

I think I might just order the whole lot from SL Hardwoods and pay for the delivery as all my local wood suppliers are jerking me about with regards to tulipwood - its rediculous the time it takes. I phoned them at the beginning of the week, emailed them my requirements and they still haven't got back to me, shame on you EO Burton of Basildon!!

SL Hardwoods gets my business then. I think i'll go with the idea you have Scrit, SL's do 18mm in stock.

Buying wood should be easier than this for a private individual, espeically one who doesn't have a vehicle to carry 8x4s or larger.

Does £217 sound a lot for an 8ft desk made of tuilpwood, veneered ply and walnut lipping?

ByronBlack":1wyyyj24 said:
Does £217 sound a lot for an 8ft desk made of tuilpwood, veneered ply and walnut lipping?

Not at all. Dear for Ikea maybe. Very cheap for Harrods...

WiZer - I had a couple of ikea desks in my last office, horrible things, really cheap veneered chipboard with metal fixings, always wobbled and never the right height - the adjustable legs broke - this is why i'm making my own, well apart from the pleasure of having a proper hardwood piece of furniture, and the other reason was I couldnt find a desk wide enough withouth resorting to using two smaller ones.

The quote of £217 from SL Hardwoods did include £40 for the delivery, so I think the cost of the wood is not too bad really, espeically as all the boards are PAR which will save me a lot of time and hassle.

ByronBlack":3wf9azts said:
Buying wood should be easier than this for a private individual, espeically one who doesn't have a vehicle to carry 8x4s or larger.
In that case you'll either need to buy, hire or borrow a van, just like a tradesman, or you'll pay a premium for your materials and delivery (as with SL Hardwoods). Most trade suppliers aren't interested in small orders - what they want and what they are set-up to deal with is guys like an acquaintance of mine; small 2 man shop doing kitchens, regularly orders £150 or so MFC a week (the minimum free delivery quantity), £7,500 per annum turnover and all done over the phone with the rep visiting twice a year. After all, you wouldn't expect Nettlefolds (or HFC or whoever) to sell you a single screw and deliver it, would you? That's what it's about.

ByronBlack":3wf9azts said:
Is that cost of materials, or what? Sounds way too low for a finished sale item.

Scrit

I completely agree with you Byron. I was actually intimating that your finished desk would be in the Harrods bracket ;)

Scrit, the cost of £217 was for all the wood from SL Hardwoods, and delivered. All PAR boards too.

Wizer, if the desk is Harrods class at the end of the build, then i'll be well chuffed, might even sell it and make another :)

jasonB":1rqzxp4i said:
Dave, have you tried James Latham they do the egger and konospan boards and cover your area.

JAson

Jason, thanks for that - although I'd heard of James Latham, I had it in my mind that they were far away from here. I'll give them a call on Monday - the key for me will be that I will only need a few sheets, I will need it delivered to a domestic address (although access is good), and I will need it cut to width as there is no way I can manage a full sheet alone in my garage workshop. I don't begrudge paying for that service, but as scrit says, many suppliers don't find it worth their while.

Incidentally, the project is to be a set of built in wardrobes, with considerable inspiration taken from the breakfront wardrobe you posted pictures of earlier this year.

Dave

Hi Byron, suprised you had no joy from E O Burton. I ordered some Sapele from them recently and they were very helpful. Checking what size lorry would be Ok for my road, agreeing to deliver after 2pm so I would be in for the delivery. Not a very big order either, £300 including VAT and delivery. Very pleased with the quality of the timber too. Worked out at about £27 a cubic foot which I thought was OK.

The other sheet material supplier in Basildon is Silvermans, free delivery on orders over £150.

I am considering getting a trailer so I can collect large items. I thought this looked a good idea as it can be folded for storage.

John

Back