Supernova Standard Z Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vic Perrin

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Hope you engineering experts can help with this one. I have a Supernova Standard Z chuck which if fitted with a insert that takes it down to fit a 3/4 x 16 tpi drive.

I have removed the insert but the thread is too big to fit the drive on my Record Maxi 1 which is 1 1/4 x 8 tpi.

There is a part listed on Record Webb site but this is for the Supernova 2 chuck and although the internal thread will definitely fit my maxi lathe I do not know if the external thread will fit into the Supernova standard Z.

Hope this males sense ?

Cheers

:?: Vic :?:

Hi

I've never heard of a type z chuck, are you sure it's not a typo for Supernova 2?

All I can suggest is you get in touch with Record Power through their website - you'll get a response within 24 hours in my experience.

Regards Mick

Spindle":2f6zppth said:
Hi

I've never heard of a type z chuck, are you sure it's not a typo for Supernova 2?

All I can suggest is you get in touch with Record Power through their website - you'll get a response within 24 hours in my experience.

Regards Mick

Hi Mick, it is the Supernova Geared chuck the one before the Supernova 2 came out.

I have put a request in to Record Power via their web site as you suggested.

Looking at the Tecknatool info I think the inserts are available

Vic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 1,174
Hi Vic

I have a couple of those chucks - if you don't get a satisfactory response from RP I'll remove the insert from one of mine and measure it for you.

Regards Mick

Spindle":1lpq54f0 said:
Hi Vic

I have a couple of those chucks - if you don't get a satisfactory response from RP I'll remove the insert from one of mine and measure it for you.

Regards Mick

Cheers Mick your a star

Regards

Vic

That looks identical to the chuck I bought second hand that was described as a Supernova 2. I've bought two inserts for it that were variously described as for Technatool or Robert Sorby. One was a chuck insert 7/8 x12tpi Left hand thread (for the outboard of a Myford ML8) from Turner's Cabin and it has worked fine. I'd be very surprised if a manufacturer that changes so little in the overall design would change the tooling on the insert thread.

Good luck!

Steve

Got sorted with an insert for the Chuck from Record Power.

I now have an Insert for the Supernova to 3/4" x 16 tpi going cheap if anyone wants one

Thanks for your help

Vic

Back