Supernova pinions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete honeyman

Established Member
Reaction score
The hex sockets on Both pinions on my supernova 2 chuck have stripped (rounded over) after about five years use - record power have just told me that teknatool have changed the number of teeth on the pinions from ten to nine, so I have to buy a new scroll ring and two new pinions - total cost just over £50 - seems a bit steep to me, and a bit poor of teknatool to have discontinued the original part. Don't suppose anyone has a couple lying about?

Pete

Do yourself a favor and put the money towards a Oneway / Vicmark or Axminster Super precision chuck

Don't start me off with Teknatool :twisted: :twisted: :evil:

or a toolpost versachuck (which i think will still take the supernova jaws if you have a selection)

Hi

My super nova after about 6 months has a fault where by the hex hole for the key has rounded so much on one of the holes that I can only tighten on the other. The key however has no signs of wear which tells me being an ex-engineer that the metal in the hex holes is softer than the key, which does not make sense.

normally the cheapest smallest part will the the softest/sacrificial part. I am sure they will sort it but wondering if anyone else has had this problem, perhaps their quality control is slipping.

My first Nova about 4 years old has no wear.

It will be a Patriot next time as I need a few more chucks.

Mark, that's the same fault I was describing, but both are now unusable. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the parts, it will be in effect a new chuck.

Pete

pete honeyman":2420pv3q said:
Mark, that's the same fault I was describing, but both are now unusable. Looks like I'll have to bite the bullet and buy the parts, it will be in effect a new chuck.

Pete

Hi

All there products carry a two year warranty for two years from purchase but you need to check the user manual for specifics. Mine is in the work shop so I can nor confirm but I have only had mine for a short time and I can not see them not changing it. I will have a chat with them and see what happens.

Hope you sort yours out.

http://www.teknatool.com/products/warranty.htm

Pete

Sorry for me being so dim.

I have just re read your opening on this thread and see your chuck is 5 years old. So my reference to the warranty is a waste of time. :oops:

I will put a sticky note of the monitor " read things properly".

:roll:

If they had rounded off after two years I'd be really annoyed! I guess five years of 'compulsive amateur' use isn't that bad, on reflection.

Pete

pete honeyman":26kw6zz2 said:
If they had rounded off after two years I'd be really annoyed! I guess five years of 'compulsive amateur' use isn't that bad, on reflection.

Pete

I am quite annoyed as they are not £10 to buy. It is also very unnecessary and such a basic engineering no no to make the expensive part softer then the sacrificial key/cheap part.

But it could be down to as small a mistake as the heat treatment on the key being different from the foundry and the manufacturer may not even know about this until it is too late. Don;t know not making excuses for them. But I won't be buying one again as I just can not afford to spend money on tools that do not perform.

Hi Mark,
I'm having terrible internet problems, so need to send message here.
Just looked on your website and found that it needs an update to show that What a Relief is available for purchase.
Off to Spain tomorrow,
Adios Amigo!

Back