Supernova chuck wobble

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WillRiseley

Established Member
Reaction score
So I finally got my issues with chucks sorted.

Bought a new supernova chuck with a 30x 3.5 insert. Screwed insert fully into the body of the chuck but there's a 3/4mm gap between insert but and body but it's fully bottomed out inside. When it's on the lathe there is a serious wobble.

Reading some yank forums they say the insert but should be touching the body, some have machined the inserts down and others have had washers made up for the gap.

Anybody else had any issues like this?

Also the 50mm jaws as standard have a 2/3mm variation on the jaws lining up, anyone else?

WillRiseley":2q8zied1 said:
So I finally got my issues with chucks sorted.
Doesn't sound like it.

Bought a new supernova chuck with a 30x 3.5 insert. Screwed insert fully into the body of the chuck but there's a 3/4mm gap between insert but and body but it's fully bottomed out inside. When it's on the lathe there is a serious wobble.

Reading some yank forums they say the insert but should be touching the body, some have machined the inserts down and others have had washers made up for the gap.
Anybody else had any issues like this?
I assume you have a 33 X 3.5 mm insert, the insert supplied is obviously machined too long and is fouling the inner chuck area, not fit for purpose, but if you want to stick with it the nose of the insert needs turning off so that it does not bottom out. But you also need to ensure that the insert is locating correctly at the rear of the chuck and that any alignment register is mating correctly.
Also the 50mm jaws as standard have a 2/3mm variation on the jaws lining up, anyone else?
Assuming you have the jaw carriers mounted in the correct order on the scroll, (the carriers and the body slots should have associated numbering but mis-alignment here should be greater than 2-3mm) then slacken accessory jaw fixing screws, tighten jaw carriers to the fully in position so that accessory jaws are closed up squarely and re-tighten accessory jaw fixing screws, If this does not cure your jaws mis-alignment then the chuck as supplied is not fit for purpose.

I thought it was sorted but I'm guessing it wants to bite back.

It's an old minimax lathe with a 30x3.5 thread. An odd size so was limited to either a supernova or patriot chuck.
It's the insert that was supplied with the chuck body so surely should work, think I'm going to have to call record on Monday and see if they can get me the correct parts?

Regarding the jaws the numbers match up and there seated correctly on the register mark just seems odd line up compared to my old axminster chuck.

It was bought from my local wood supply down at stiles and bates who supply loads of turning items.

Seems a never ending bad luck story for me so far

OK, did not realise you had an awkward spindle size, is the insert a normal stock item or was it made as a special for you?

Realised it was an odd size but it's a stock insert size. The only thing that may be screwing it up is that the insert has red sorby packing and the chuck obviously has the green record colour. The guys at the shop tell me that the patriot and supernova parts are all interchangeable so took there word for it as they have been runni a long time.

Maybe worth getting a record insert instead before I look down the path of getting it machined or getting a washer made to take up the gap. Surely record should pay for that as otherwise this chuck is out by at least 2mm on a 6" diameter bowl.

The shop should sort it for you, if you bought it as a set at the same time you are entitled to a working unit that aligns correctly when fitted to the lathe.

Hi

Can you be a bit more specific about how the chuck 'wobbles'? If you grip a largish drill in the chuck an turn it by hand, does the end of the drill describe a circle? how large? Is the circle larger / smaller / the same size the further you move away from the chuck face?

Any chance of photos of the jaws?

I'd reserve judgement on the design of the adaptor for now - in my opinion there is nothing wrong with the nose of the adaptor being the register, (or part of it), that locates the chuck. The adaptor hex does not need to be tightened against the rear of the chuck. Teknatool adaptors are designed in this manner.

Regards Mick

Latest posts

Back